Black Clowns have white markings over their body - help

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by aussiejodie, Sep 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aussiejodie

aussiejodie Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

we lost then both. Yes it was ICK. We treated the larger clown in an small tank and he seemed to recover overnight - the advice we were given was to put him in a medicated fresh water dose for 1 minute - I could only keep him there for 30 seconds but he did recover for a few hours.

He passed this morning and we buried him in our herb patch.

We went tonight and purchase 2 replacements for our sons tank and hope we have learnt some valuable lessons - water changes need to be the same temp, PH we need to work out why this drops so quickly, everything else seems ok.

2. Click Here!

3. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

ich spots are rather small.. from the pictures it looks more like brookynella, which kills fishes way faster than ich
    does yours look like this?
    http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2008Q1/Brooklynella2.JPG

4. aussiejodie

I have now removed all the corals from the tank and we are dosing the tank directly as our manderin and Angel are now showing signs of ICH. They are eating fine.

I have researched it and now understand its breeding cycle so want to make sure we get it right out of the tank before buying any new fish. We are also going to keep any new fish seperate for 5 weeks to make sure they dont reintroduce it again.

5. yheartsp

may i ask what you're dosing? :)

6. aussiejodie

my LFS recommended it - Anti - Protozoal which has active ingredients of 10mg quinine hydrocloride and 1.27mg of malachite green? we add 3ml/70 ltr. any advice on this would be appreciated? It claims to be reef safe?? But i didnt want to risk it with the smaller corals in the tank. The bubbles are fine so far and have been dosing twice a day for 3 days. the clowns are looking better but not cured.

7. aussiejodie

This product is manufactured in Australia FYI...

8. Click Here!

9. aussiejodie

Hi, It could be. We introduced 2 new clowns a few days ago and they are now looking the same. Our Blue/yellow angel is also looking like he has a film of some kind over him. i removed all the corals and started dosing the tank directly as I assumed it was ich but have only started an ammonia bloom.and increased Nitrate to 40. I have done 2 x 20% water changes in 24 hours using RO water+ Instant Ocean salt..I am thinking tomorrow I am going to buy a larger quarantine tank to place all fish in and dose them directly - Medicine sold to me is Anti Protozoal 3ml /70Ltr - I am dosing the 130ltr tank with 4ml twice a day.

10. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I had my first pair die of brookynella, it took them pretty quickly.
    You said you just added another pair of clowns? You should never add more fish to an already sick tank. Even if you are dosing with meds. Figure out the problem before you throw more critters into a diseased tank.

11. yheartsp

ich is like a fever compared to brookynella,
    My place here doesn't have anything that can treat for it effectively, so it's kinda my worst nightmare, i've only faced it once with my clarkii that died.

please read this for steps that you can take

Brooklynella-confirmed - Reeflands Forum

good luck :)

12. aussiejodie

We were advised wrongly:( and learning from the mistake. I have posted anew ASAP post as things have changed dramatically...