Black Clowns have white markings over their body - help

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by aussiejodie, Sep 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aussiejodie

aussiejodie Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi everyone, I am hoping for some advice. My son's clowns have developed white spots that are very small and visible on their black. They both spend a lot of time playing in the golfball coral when its out, they are eating and playing well but I am concerned it could be ICK? I have done some research on it and it can be caused by stress in the tank.

The tank is 7 months old, live rock, 1 x angel, 1 x mandarine, 2 x clowns. We recently lost a new blennie (SP?) for no reason after a week and we think it could be that we have a ppistol shrimp which we have seen (killed our peppermint shrimp a few months ago) and hear very loudly at night.

Could the pistol be creating a lot of stress which is causing ICK?

All testing is perfect. IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

2. Click Here!

3. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Pistols normally don't mess with fish. When the blennie died, what was the cause? Sounds like high nitrates and ammonia. What are your exact parameters? When a fish dies it begins create ammonia and it is very very stressful for any fish. I'm sure the death of your blennie sparked the ich.

4. aussiejodie

I don't believe so. My LFS did extra testing as well but here are my perameters.

PH 8.3, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Phosphate 0, Nitrite 20, I use a refractometer 1.022, Calcium 400, dkH 13, 130 liter tank and i do 20% water change every week.

5. aussiejodie

I just went in to check on them and the bigger one was all over the golf ball coral which is closed at the moment (night here). Then for the first time I saw tens if not hundreds of small swimming little things that were attracted to my light that looked like little fish coming out of the corals? Cant take a photo as they are really small, and following the light.

6. aussiejodie

forgot to mention, i took the dead blennie straight out even before the hermits could have a bite. Then checked everything and did another water change 2 days after. I am a bit compulsive with my tanks;) Thanks for your advice.

7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I would have to say thats ich. Maybe you can setup a small 10 gallon for them and treat them for a few weeks?

8. Click Here!

9. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

The small swimming things, could they be shrimp larvae? Do you have a couple of the same shrimp in your tank? My peppermints hatch larva and they swim to the light every time they hatch. They make a nice free meal for the tank, if that's the case. Also, I would agree with mattheuw1, if you can setup a small hospital tank and treat them, feed them well, hopefully that will work for you.

10. aussiejodie

The smaller one died last night. I have removed the larger one and will put him in a small tank that i am going to set up now. Is there any medication I should consider? Can i use the same water from the larger tank?

11. aussiejodie

The only same type of shrimp I know i have seen in there are Pistols! Our others were killed by something.

12. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

I don't think it is shrimp eggs it's probably the corals, some corals reproduce that way, pretty cool to watch. About the ich I don't take it too serious because I've never had a fish die from it and healthy fish cure it themselves.