Black bugs on zoas

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by kss2801, Apr 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

+1
    I just did an iodine dip though so I'll wait a while to see if they improve.

2. Click Here!

3. kss2801

What about a six line or yellow coris, would they help? I was planning to add one of those anyway. I'll just do it sooner than later.

4. kss2801

I found some more of the bugs in a torch coral skeleton that recently died without explanation. Now I know why. I got a video of some of them. You should be able to see them if you watch it in HD.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just a suggestion but worth considering, treating with interceptor. You have to weigh the negative effects like killing all shrimp and crabs. Consider a interceptor bath for your corals, if you do not want to treat the tank.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

From your video it looks like they move like some type of copepod. Its quite possible that they are infectious as certain areas of the world have different types of pods.

Check this out for both your soft coral that died and further down for types that consume zoanthids. Feature Article: Parasitic Copepods: Enemies of Soft Corals, False Corals, Gorgonians, Anemones, Zoanthids, and Tridacna Clams — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
    Your best bet for a cure would be freshwater dip for 10 minutes every few days. This will likely not completely eradicate them from your system though...

They should feed on the inverts, however it is not guaranteed. This will only help with the problem and will not actually cure it...

1 person likes this.
  7. kss2801

I don't think I'm at that stage yet. I will try dipping for a while first and maybe one of the fish that eats these pests. I really don't want to use any chemicals on the tank. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks for the advice and the link. They really do hop around like pods. I will continue dipping.
    I am hesitant to add a wrasse because I have a mandarin that has been doing great for some months now and I don't want the wrasse to deplete my pods.

8. Click Here!

9. DarkEarth

DarkEarth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I thought this too.

1 person likes this.
  10. kss2801

Could be, but very small ones.

I did not see any bugs on the zoas but they did not re-open at all since the dip yesterday. I dipped them again today.
    Is it normal for them to not open after a dip? I also used a toothbrush on them and shook them quite a bit.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

zoas will stay closed for a while after dips......not sure I would have used a toothbrush on them however as it could cause quite a bit of damage to the soft tissue........

1 person likes this.
  12. kss2801

I didn't apply much pressure just kinda passed the brush over them. I hope they start opening soon.
    Thanks for the tip.