Bit of an algae problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by gythwulf, Jul 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

dKH: 6.72
    Ca: ~460 PPM

Also, ammonia is still at 0.25 PPM

edit: I just added enough Red Sea "SUCCESS Buff" to bring the alkalinity up by 1 meq/l, and I'll test the dKH again tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

say goodbye to the coral and keep the lights off for a week, you will be happy you did. however, if you really want to keep the coral, get a desk lamp and make sure it only touches the coral. byropsis, (if that is what it actually is, the preliminary pics look like it, but you will need something more close up), will drive you crazy, kill it now. by the way who sold you rock with that junk on it? I think there should be a thread of vendors, LFS who spread this garbage. It really isn't that common in the ocean, lets rid it from the hobby!

4. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

The lights have already been off for more than a week, and any bryopsis that is still there is dead. Also, the coral is doing fine. ;D

5. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I have had the same problem, Then I got a fairly good sized sea hair from my LFS and it has eaten it all.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes I knew the buffer was way way low. I can tell you this much you have no Bryopsis period .

Take the tank and get the parameters corrected Ca is high because the Buffer is low get the Mag at 1500ppm and the fact that you see ammonia shows me that the tank is not ready for any animals other then a cycling fish.
    You algae problem is all part of the process that the time and get the water corrected and levels steady , Run just actinic and no white lamps about 15 Hrs a day no skimming and let it ride for a few weeks about 8 more is what I allow . If you are testing in Mg/l then you want them to be at 5.0 DKH is far easier t adjust and read but toss enough buffer in there to make a difference . what is that reading now 2.3 maybe 3.0 or so ?

P.S you may want to add about 2 astrae snails at least per gallon while its getting established . Not sure what size the tank is But I'd add a 100 to 150 to a 55 gallon people want to add 10 of them to to a 90 and assume they have plenty.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008