Bit of an algae problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by gythwulf, Jul 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

I had a LMB and a Midas Blenny that were buddies until 1 winter day the MB went carpet surfing....must have got into a fight!!:argue:

I get the whole excitment rush when setting up a new tank, but there is a reason for cycling. Pregnant women wouldn't go to their doctor at 5 months and say "I want to give birth today because I am so excited that I can't wait even though I know the baby is not quite ready yet".

Do you know what kind of fish you want? Corals? Are the fish compatible? What about your clean up crew? Skimmer? Are the lights you have good enough for the corals you want to keep? $$$...A LOT to think about while cycling.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

UPDATE: After having the lights off for a few days now and picking out by hand as much bryopsis as I can, the issues seems to be resolving. Not only are no new bryopsis growing, the ones there are there are starting to brown, and I assume it's because they are dying. Additionally, the phosphate reactor I ordered shipped today, so it should be here this week or next ;D. I hope these actions combined keep the bryopsis under control, otherwise I'll have to go to one of the more extremes posted here, which I'd rather not have to do ><

Also, if the bryopsis dies, will the toxins break down, making it edible for snails and the like? Curious as to how I should handle dead bryopsis.

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

if it comes back.please don't bleach your tank.a sea hare will eat anything green in your tank.but only if you have to,cause often the sea hare will starve after cleaning your tank

5. MARQUIS DE BLUES

MARQUIS DE BLUES Astrea Snail

im currently in the process of doing the bleach thing. it sucks !!! damn near killed myself today emptying the tub with the bleach water when i realized there amonia from the die off and bleach mixed together at the bottom. lol... guess i shouldnt have done this in my bathroom. huh? lol.. anyhow , ive had just about every algae one could grow on rock even though ive tried to keep as excellent as possible water qualities with regular changes and testing. after my ex pulled my plug and i set the tank back up i neglected to really clean my rock and was fighting algae on my rock with it getting prog. worse and the tank looking uglier and uglier until i decided to nuke it. hopefully that will be that. im definatly feelin for you... hope all goes well with your tank..

6. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Fingers crossed! I know what it's like to have to start over on something you've put a lot of time into...

7. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

use tech m get your mag levels to 1600 it cures briopsis
    it will take a lot
    also switch your gfo in reactor out every 10 days till this stuff is gone

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Cures it? Heck, I didn't know it was sick!!

10. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

So my phosphate reactor arrived today and I got that set up. What's awesome is the fact that I just ordered it yesterday! I love it when I find a supply store online that is based near where I live - I can pay for standard ground shipping and get my stuff next-day! (ordered from MarineDepot btw). Anyway, time will tell how well it works out ;)

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

hey I just looked a this string and that first set of pictures you posted I can see that this tank is way way under buffered , Have you been keeping an eye on the DKH and Ca ? I did not read every post to see if you have posted parameters of the tank. So If I missed it sorry But unless you have jacked the levels up since the photos where taken thats where I'd start the battle .

12. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bryopsis

I had a bryopsis outbreak once. In your case with no fish or corals I would take out the rock with it and scrub it well in the water after a water change if it has affected alot of your rock. If it very little of your rock then you could boil the rock or simply replace the rock. Get some phosban in a power filter or something and turn the lights off. Do a few very big water changes and all this should get rid of it. Some mexican turbos and zebra snails will eat it also. NO BLEACH! That will kill all your LR. Also keep the DKH around 10 and get the PH around 8.2
    Adam

1 person likes this.