Bit of an algae problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by gythwulf, Jul 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

There is your problem - you should only buy cured rock. The uncured stuff is smelly and has stuff dying all over it.

2. Click Here!

3. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Alright, so I tested my water for PH and magnesium as that guide stated, and my PH is already between 8.5 and 8.6. Also, my magnesium is at 1460. I guess I'll just keep my lights off and hope that that's enough to rid myself of the infestation :-\

Also, when my parameters stabilize, I am going to grab a bi-color blenny and lawnmower blenny and see if that helps at all.

4. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

We had an outbreak about 2 weeks in as well, I'm sure from the live rock. Anyway, I plucked it out with my fingers and scooped it out with a brine shrimp net until it was gone. Nothing will eat it and it spreads like wildfire. Also, cut your lights off and get your phosphates under control. Your phosphate test will show zero, but that's because the algae is soaking it all in and taking it out of the water.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Contrary to what that article states, no fish will eat bryopsis as it is toxic. Also, if you put two blennies in your tank, they will fight.

6. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Well, I scraped all of it off of the back wall and picked as much as I could out of the sand. I'll probably try to pick more of it out later. Also, my lights are off, and will remain off for the duration of curing. Not sure what I would need to do to get my phosphates under control, so if you could let me know about that, I'd appreciate it.

7. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

pick up a phosphate reactor, usually around 35 bucks, and a small pump to run it, and some phosphate remover, total about 50-60 dollars

Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150 (Phosphate Reactors > Inline/ Specialty > Filters > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies )

Taam Rio 50 Powerhead/Pump (Fixed Flowrate Pumps > Powerheads > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies )

Two Little Fishies Phosban Phosphate Removal Media 150 g (Phosphate Removers > Chemical > Filter Media > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies )

8. Click Here!

9. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

10. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Very well said, IMO pull the rock and boil it or do a bleach/baking soda treatment

If you'd prefer sit it in an empty bucket and let it back outside in the sun for a week, that'd likely work also

11. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

I'm trying the phosphate/light starvation method first, as I would prefer not to nuke the coral/feather dusters I have on the rocks.

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

The light starving method is effective. When coming out of the 0 light/back into lighting, be sure to cycle your time period slowly. Some do it differently, but, I added 15 mins. a day. Some recommend less.