Bit of an algae problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by gythwulf, Jul 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

[​IMG]

Anyone know what I can get that will happily devour this stuff?

2. Click Here!

3. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

what are your tank parameters? test for alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, are you using ro/di water, something is fueling this algae, once that is figured out it will take care of itself, you can remove it by hand.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks like bryopsis. OUCH! How about some more info on your tank/parameters?

5. missionsix

Definitely bryopsis.
    [​IMG]

6. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Well, it's not quite done cycling, and before I got the temp. issues worked out, the temp was running high. Haven't tested my nitrates/nitrites recently, but my ammonia is at 0.25 PPM. Also, my water is RO water from my LFS.

edit: I probably should mention why I am asking about what eats it - my dad is a really, really impatient person, and wants me to get fish (and so far, I've convinced him no), but he's getting more and more impatient about it. By now, he wants me to at least get snails, hence the question about what will munch on the stuff. It's hard to say no, since my dad is funding half of my entire aquarium and accessories :-\

7. missionsix

I would start with testing phosphate and nitrate.

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

are you running the lights on this tank while going thrue the cycle ? and how old is this tank ?

10. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

I am running the lights because there is at least one coral that road in on one of my rocks that I don't want to kill. Also, my tank is 2 weeks old tomorrow.

11. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

SHUT them off, YOU have the "baddest MOFO OF HA > BRYPOSIS <
    nothing eats it , there have been a few tanks that belong to some in 3reef.
    One tank I beleive was RUN OVER with it
    ( and this owner has sevral years in the hobby from what i understand )

Again I or a few others dont know of what will eat it , it has high toxic levels in it ( thats why fish / snails wont touch it )
    I'm sure somthing will consume it , but if any one know's or has mentioned it on these forums, I could not tell you

You'll have to starve it of phosphates and starve it of light, to win the battle

Consider your self lucky, you didint have sevral hundred $ in corals and this pop up on ya.

12. missionsix

If your tank is 2 weeks old, you still have time to get rid of the bryopsis asap. Forget about the hitchhiker coral. More than likely it can live without lights, if it's lived through going from the ocean to your tank(the long way).
    Your tank is still young. Get it fixed before it costs you alot of money/stress.