Bistleworm or no? Pineapple Sponge or no? And that is the green bubble?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by punkydudey, Jul 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. punkydudey

punkydudey Astrea Snail

Hi All,
    I have a couple pics from my new tank and i just want to make sure i know what these are and if they are good or bad. One i believe is a bristle worm but i want to make sure it isnt a fire worm. The other looks like a pineapple sponge, one pic is a close up while the other shows tons of them on some of my live rock. If this is what they are are they good or bad? Also i posted a pic of the weird green bubble that has appeared between two branches on my coral, does anyone know what this is? Sorry the picture quality of that one is so bad. Anyways i appreciate all the help. I have circled what i want identified in each picture to help you guys find them. Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yes on both ID's. Luna

4. punkydudey

punkydudey Astrea Snail

Ive done the research on bristleworms I know to leave them in most cases in the tank, but i havent heard much about pineapple sponges, are they good to have in the tank? Sorry im a newb with reefing.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sponges........harmless
    Bristleworms.........I dont like them, I take them out whenever I see one.

Luna

6. jaredrthrbswimn

jaredrthrbswimn Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I agree with luna on this one. Take the bristle worms out. The last thing I want is one of those to kill my shrimp or if I move a coral rock around and have that thing sting me.

I'm just worried of finding/picking those things out when I get a bigger tank as opposed to my puny nano....

Pineapple sponge- don't worry about it. I have tons on my rock and in the back of my tank

7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Bristleworms--yes, very beneficial to your sandbed
    pineapple sponge--yes, grow in random places in my tank too
    green bubble algae---get rid of it before it spreads.

I have a tank infested with bristleworms, never did any harm to my livestock/corals. My fuge is also infested. Whenever I take a look down there there are at least 5 in plain sight, and they haven't hurt my pistol shrimp (the only sump inhabitant besides a couple nass snails). Unless you have foot long worms, they don't hurt anything but your fingertips and your stomach if you hate worms.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The Ids are right. I also just wanted to make sure you know that the coral in the last picture is dead.

10. punkydudey

punkydudey Astrea Snail

Ya i know its dead, thanks all of you for all your help and suggestions much appreciated.

11. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

LOL :lol:

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Luna,

I'm just curious as to why you don't like bristle worms? I have two (that I know of) in my aquarium and am trying to decide what to do about them...I'm researching both sides of the debate!

Thanks!

p.s. I have a fish only tank if that makes a difference