Birdsnests

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Rarend99, May 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'd be afraid of them sloshing around in a bucket and breaking off frags. Could you put them in a 2 large bags with his tank water and then place it into a Styrofoam box?

I would treat them as a fish. I would temperature acclimate and then drip acclimate. I would hate to lose those colonies.

2. Click Here!

3. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

That's true, ill definitely put them in large bags and temp, drip acclimate

4. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Personally I would fill a bucket up part way with your aquarium water & then get bags for them to put the frags & there water in the bags & float them in the bucket till you get home.. then you can float in your tank with low lighting for about 20-30 mins for temp & then add approximately 1/4-1/2 cup your water every 15-20 mins for about 1 hour 1 1/2 hours... as long as your not going extremely far then you should be fine.. longer & slower acclimation if you have a good distance.. that's my opinion & I'm sure everyone's is different..

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I'm just going to throw this out there....Drip acclimating coral is absolutely pointless. Even temp acclimating is pretty pointless. The reason most online retailers say to drip acclimate or the guarantee is void is because they know good and well mostpeople don't drip thus voiding their guarantee. I have never lost a coral due to any sort of shock. The reason we drip fish is a fish can go through osmotic shock which is the rapid change in salinity.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

+1 I just float the bags to get them up to temp, dip them in half bag water, half tank water (and Coral Rx) and then add them. When bought from LFS, I don't float the bags at all. No losses to date...

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I never temp acclimate or drip anything either, but i just introduce small frags. My thought was to be extra cautious so as to not lose anything from the large colony. It would be quite unfortunate to have a large colony reduce to a few frags.

8. Click Here!

9. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

It is very unfortunate! I've done it with 2 colonies so far..:(

10. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

thats a hell of a deal.

Birdsnest are pretty easy for sps and they grow like crazy