Birdsnest turning white

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by lmr2o, Jan 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

this is a very good point, I never would have thought of that.

thanks a lot for your input steve, and taking the time to read through this.
    can't find the tape measure at the moment but my best guess is 12-14" above the water.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I also just wanted to verify if the tissue has disappeared or if it has just bleached. In the photo, it looks like the white areas are completely devoid of tissue bit it is not clear enough to be sure.

4. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I'm pretty sure its tissue is gone, but I don't know how to tell for sure, it's my first birdsnest so I don't have any comparison. But the thing looks pretty much dead to me. The polyps are just bumps, not opened up at all.

Does it sound like RTN? If so, I was doing a little reading and I guess this can harm other corals in the tank, so I'm pretty sure I need to remove it. A hosting crab came with it, and it won't come out of the branches until lights out. So I'll have to wait until tonight

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  5. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I was freaking out a little that this might hurt other corals in my tank, so I pulled it out, and got the crab in a pitcher with tank water.

This guy stayed in the branches of the birdsnest all day. Is he okay to put back in my tank without other large sps to host in, or should I find him a new home?

[​IMG]

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

That's an acro crab; beneficial to SPS colonies but it is a commensal relationship, meaning the crab needs an acro colony to survive.

7. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Okay, thanks! I guess the best action would be to take it back to the fish store, but will he be okay in my tank until tomorrow? I have a few small acro frags, but nothing with enough branches for him to hide in like he's used to

edit: if I put him in my sump so he'll be easier to catch, would he eat the chaeto in my fuge?

8. Click Here!

9. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Nope, the tend to only feast off the goodies that acro flesh catches. Detritus for example is a good meal for these guys, hence why it is beneficial to the coral as well.

Small little article for them:
    http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/acrocrab.htm

10. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

cool, into the sump he goes until tomorrow. hopefully the store has a nice colony he can live in. cool little crab for sure.

thanks for the link