Birdsnest Bleaching? What would you do??

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by offensetaken, Dec 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What would you do with this birdsnest?

1. Move the Birdnest down, lower from light?

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Leave it where it is?

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

Try moving it to the bottom. I have mine on the bottom (4xT5) and it's growing like crazy.

2. Click Here!

3. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Thanks Trent! I have a (2) ATI blue plus, (1) Aquablue Special and (1) UVL Super Actinic. How would I go about raising the zooxanthelle in my H20 column? Kent ZoPlex? This is the first time for me with SPS. I am getting good growth though! HAHA

4. offensetaken

Thanks Steve, I'm leaning towards stronger light as well. This is my first go around with SPS and I thought the same thing you did. I got it from a tank that was running MH so I thought with T5 ho's it would need to be higher in the tank.

I'm gonna move it down half way and see how it does!

5. offensetaken

Thanks K3rack! I'll move it down and see how it does.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

well the best advice I can say for increasing your zoox diversity is to just add a ton of other corals. each will bring its own unique zoox to add to the levels and other corals may decide to pick them up while others will not. This process seems to happen more often when a coral is new and just added... likewise, ones that you have had for years will have minimal color fluctuations as they mature and are added to different tanks. Again, this is only based off of my observations in multiple systems so I cannot say that this is a fact, just more of a common pattern that seems to happen often.

One more thing worth mentioning: Most orange coloration generally absorbs somewhere around the higher 500nm wavelengths for photosynthesis (a yellow color). And then reflects it in the low 600nm wavelengths (why you see the coral as orange). So since your bulbs mainly seem to be VERY blue lol. I would say that the lack of the yellow wavelengths in your bulbs plays a large role in this. If you are willing to change, try maybe one sunlight bulb in there... or even possibly a fiji purple if you dont like any 10k bulbs.

7. offensetaken

Thanks for your wisdom and advice Trent. Makes sense to me...LOL I might order a few different bulbs and play with the bulb combos and see if I find a look that I like better. HAHA

I moved the birdnest down and it is starting to color back up a bit already!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am glad it is doing better. It is nice an furry and I am sure it will color back up. Looks healthy enough despite the coloration.

:)

10. offensetaken

Thanks Cheryl, I'm glad it's coloring back up this fast ;D;D