*Birdsnest and acro. STN or evil sexy shrimp? Devastation Continues!!*

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Magnett2, Jul 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Birdsnest. Evil sexys or STN

Poll closed Jul 17, 2011.
  1. STN

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Evil sexys

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Or something else...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I do have a pic in my other thread. Let me get a link

You can see it in some pics. It's near the base. It's the purple bird of paradise

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Magnett2

Caught them in the act. In the night about three of them were eating a bn together. I moved that bn away from where they usually hang out so hopefully that will stop. The sexys wouldn't eat before so they are probably hungry. I just now got them to eat today. I have to be extremely slow for them to feels safe enough to take the food. The stn on the bird of paradise has seemed to cease. They were working over my neon green bn. Fingers crossed

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I had issues with my sexy shrimp too in my pico. Apparently you do have to keep them well-fed. People said they were reef-safe but that was not the case with me.

5. Magnett2

Yeah I don't think they are either. I hope that soon they will too become crazy when I feed the tank like the other shrimp. Prior to yesterday they were unphased by feeding time. We shall see

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Bummer, so much for "reef safe".

7. Magnett2

No kidding lol. I wouldn't have bought 7 if I knew they would feed on Sps. I've only heard of them eating soft coral.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Sorry just saw this thread. I too have had problems with Sexy Shrimp. They appear to eat just about anything. Zoa are their fav but have seen them pic at SPS

J

10. Magnett2

Good news. So I removed the rotten sexy that was doing the damage. Ever since then my coral has been healing. I put the rotten one with my mantis, Midna, and so far so good. I experimented with the other 5 that are in the main tank. I got them all to begin taking raw shrimp and was feeding them twice a day after the fiasco. I stopped for one whole day and they began eating the coral. They were only picking though. The rotten one was just devouring it. So I have been target feeding them once a day and they have completely stopped so far. I just give them each a good chunk (skunk and peppermint first of course) and it lasts them a long time. They carry it around and stay happy. Now that they are hand fed they have become so lazy. They pretty much only stay by the frogspawn or the mini maxi. It's a pain to feed them every day but it's worth it.

11. Magnett2

Devastation continues!!

OK. So i did remove the one rotten one. Everything was all good until yesterday...

Has anyone noticed that they dont like to share? I have two mini maxi nems and its a one-sexy-per-nem policy. So two of my sexys have a nem. The other three like to hang out under the frogspawn canopy. I dont think those three are entirely satisfied. I noticed that the two on the mini maxi sexys almost never venture away while the other three roam the tank frequently. I think this is related to them eating my sps. Im not entirely sure why either. They get fed 1-2 times a day. Does anyone have any idea why this behaviour might be linked to them eating sps?

I woke up today and my red planet was about halfway eaten. :( They also seem to move from one type of frag to another. I wish they would just eat my gsp and other softies instead. Off to shoot them with freshwater today..

12. Magnett2