Birds nest problem

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by kimberlee, Jan 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

I have a small birds nest that's been doing very well in my tank for the better part of 21/2 months. I have him on a frag rack close to the top. Problem is somebody knocked him off of said frag rack, right into 1 of my hammers. Now 1 of the birds nest's tips are white, only 1. I think it's the 1 tip that made contact w/ the hammer, but I'm not sure. Can the hammer cause that, and if not what else could?

2. Click Here!

3. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

A hammer could have stung the coral, but my bet is on Growth. Your BN seems to be getting what it needs and is growing. Oh and a tip no one told me for awhile is that the different type of flow you have on it will affect its branching pattern, Low flow = thick far apart branches, High rapid flow = Tightly knit thin branches. Make sure that the flow on the BN is also random because debris can get caught in it. IMHO I like the tightly knit rather than thick far apart ones.

4. kimberlee

Thx, thats a great reply. All of it tips show a little white, but this is 1 branch that is half white. It wasn't that way before which is why I asked. Thank you for the water flow tips. They make sense, and that's new info to me which I can never get enough of.

5. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

no problem, ok it sounds more like a sting problem now, if the branch is half white then it has been stung by the coral, you can break that tip of with a pair of cutting tools and it will continue to grow on that branch, usually growth is noticed by just the tips being white.

6. Nannook

Nannook Astrea Snail

Why don't you just watch this closely. I had one that got stung, I cut it off, and refragged in my QT and it got better. But it took a week. I guess better safe than sorry. I was just thinking with a small frag it might be hard for you to trim off a branch, you might not have much left. Mine grows so quickly that the bits that fall or broken off I rescue glue onto another plug have something to share next team meeting.

7. kimberlee

Wish my camera was working, I'd take a pic. It is a frag, but it's grown fast, since I got it. Out side of that little branch it seem fine, so the plan is just to keep an eye on it. If I needed too I could cut that branch no problem without taking off too much. I was remembering everything I've read about my corals and wanted someone to confirm that yes it is possible for the hammer to sting the BN.

Most the time these corals make you do your home work before their placed in the tank. That war fare as passive as it is, is still really aggressive. I find it so interesting and challenging though. It's like a world war portrayed in a silent film.

Any info to aid in the BN's recovery?

8. Click Here!

9. Nannook

Nannook Astrea Snail

Maybe extra water change to keep really fresh salt water on this. I discovered a frilly mushroom stung my montipora. It seems to be recovering after a week of separation. Not aware of anything to be done for recovery. Fresh water rinse in RO maybe? 60 seconds. Just a thought, never tried it.

10. Nannook

Nannook Astrea Snail

How goes the birdnest? Based upon recent developments, I am going to phase out many mushrooms. I did not know they were so harsh on tank mates.

11. kimberlee

I had to take off a couple more branches. Something is wrong in my tank, can't figure out what though. All tests checked out fine