Birdlady's New Corals.....

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Birdlady, Nov 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Coral;num=1100914363;start=15#18 date=11/21/04 at 00:12:47]Yikes no gloves![/quote]

Yup, only you hobbyists use those damn glove Craig :D

4. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

BL ....

These animals are also very carnivorous and I learned (Kirbster-RAG) that adding fish eggs or roe is good and highly nutritious. So I blend roe, fish meat, some spirulina or nori, mussle and squid.

The brains, frogspawn, ricordia, cynarina, elegance and slippers all react with frenzy when ever I feed. The ricordias in particular are fed individually since you can see their mouths open.

Add to these my eel bites frozen roe in chunks and the other fishes also go into frenzy.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

reiple,

so you just chop it all up and toss it in? I understand the cynarina withdraws the colorful polyps seen during the day and puts out the real polyps with nematocysts at nite. . . so should I feed it at nite when it looks like that? spot feed I mean?

Thanks!

6. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

I cut the squid and fish into big pieces. set some aside for the anemone then drop the rest into a blender with the roe, shredded nori, spirulina flakes and mussels. Blend to shred not puree. Then put the mush into zip bags, flatten then freeze. Break off to feed (one a day is what I do. some even do 2x). It's useful to have a tool which clamps the pieces and you can swish it around when you feed (and it thaws).

BTW I feed around 2-3 hours after the photoperiod started. Also I cut a piece of the frozen mush. Swish it around for about five minutes. You'd see the corals balooning and their "tentacles" and stuff coming out (rics pout! really) and this is somewhat similar to what you see at night. Then I add the partially thawed pieces. I add selcon, vitamins, garlic at this point while thawing.

;)

I forgot. I feed the cynarina 2-3x a week a piece of squid. quiet a glutton if you ask me.

7. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

wow, all I feed right now is flake food, frozen brine and frozen prime reef. I guess, I've gotta get into a little bit more exciting diet :)

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah me too. My hammer could use some attention. It hasn't grown much. Thanks for the ideas. :)

Nice corals all!

10. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i have a question i'm gonna buy 2 3-5" acros on liveaquaria.com for $150. Is that a rip off or is there any other sites that are cheaper. there blue and purple. I don't want frags, i'm looking for somewhat cheap colonies of acros.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Do you have a link to the pieces you are going to buy?

I would think that isn't bad. Small colonies up here run $45.00 -$85.00 depending on what it is.

Personally if you have a SPS LFS locally I would buy 1 small digitata colonies and see how it goes before dropping $150.00 bucks

J

12. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral