Bioluminescent aquarium

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by sdblanshan, Jan 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, once you have come up with a list and care needed (nothing like being lazy on my part), would love to know that information. If there are no articles on this, perhaps you should write one for a reefkeeping magazine?

2. Click Here!

3. sdblanshan

sdblanshan Astrea Snail

That's a great idea oldfishkeeper, I was thinking already thinking about a picture book.

I can't think of any reason for breeders to skimp on the glowing critters... I really wish I could convince them somehow to start a bioluminescent category.
    maybe magazine articles and a book would give them a push.

I REALLY WISH I WAS GETTING MORE INVOLVEMENT FROM THE COMMUNITY.

I would love to hear about flashes of light in other folks tanks... I know it happens.

I could be in uncharted territories here. I see real potential for cool factor, and high profits for the breeders/suppliers. So I will keep doing what I can, learning and listing, and I am not beyond breeding any species I can get my hands on. And at great personal cost I refuse to miss an opportunity to purchase breeding stock for any warm water bioluminescent species.

I see pinecone fish for more than 400$ per fish. Flashlight fish start at 80$ I would love to slip into that niche of supply and demand.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. oldfishkeeper

I assume you've expanded onto other forums although 3reef is the best :)

5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I'd love to see a report on this once you set up a tank :) I love the idea.

6. oldfishkeeper

I'd be willing to help organize material and edit for you if you'd like help. I write a lot in my job.

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Back in the days when my 55 gallon was cycling i woke up one night round 2-3 am to have a drink of water. I turned to my tank (as this setup was right next to my bed) and noticed small sporadic flashing lights. To this day im not sure if i dreamed this or if the water i drank had been sitting a little to long.

Some folks on this forum suggested it could have been some sort of worm giving signs for reproduction. Was really cool regardless

8. Click Here!

9. sdblanshan

sdblanshan Astrea Snail

My first thought would be worms dying, not breeding... They will oftin glow brightest right before they die. Since you were cycling your tank ... With live rock I assume?

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

indeed, but was towards the end of the cycle.

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

12. sdblanshan

sdblanshan Astrea Snail

Zesty, that is a nice find, and although not bioluminescence it definitely is worth considering for addition to a bioluminescent aquarium, actinic blue lighting is usually 420 nm and the fluorescence described occours at 470-480 nm. With advances in led technology and the abundance of led frequencies it should be very simple to eBay some LEDs in those frequencies to cause this black light effect without too much light so as to drown out dim bioluminescent displays.
    With the depressingly scarce availability of bioluminescent aquarium organisms it may well be desirable to supplement the luminous qualities of an aquarium with fluorescence. Just remeber algae can take advantage of colors of light that corals and other photosynthetic organisms cannot. And I don't want to give algae any advantage which could help it out compete the other light powered creatures. coralline algae prefers 420 nm from what I understand.