Biocube29 owners

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by addicted_now, Jan 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

hey whats up. Nu-2reef your tank is amazing!
    I have a Biocube 14 and a Biocube 29 and i love everything about them! I have been having so much fun aqua-scaping, adding coral, and adding livestock! There are definitely things you can do to make these nanos perform better. IMO
    1. Remove the tab in between chamber one and two.
    2. Upgrade to a more powerful pump, get a koralia 1 or both.
    3. Ditch the replaceable plastic carbon filter, and build a multi-tiered media rack out of egg crate and zip ties. (Here you have the option of adding chemical filtration.)
    4. You can remove the bioballs and make the center chamber into a refugium, but make sure you have alot of Live Rock for filtration!
    5. Use filter floss between chamber one and two.
    6. Make sure you have enough surface agitation. Either aim the stock nozzle up at the surface or purchase a hydorflo.
    Here is the most recent photo of my 14gal:
    [​IMG]
    I have not removed my bioballs yet and do not have a skimmer. IMO if you are satisfied with the lighting of these biocubes, and are not planning on adding any corals that required high intensity lighting or zero nitrates, removing the bioballs seems unnecessary.
    I have Two Black Clown Fish, an Engineer Goby, two peppermint shrimp, six hermit crabs and 4-6 snails. I do a water change of 2.5 gal every week and my nitrates never rise over 40.
    I hope this helps.
    Crusty

2. Click Here!

3. addicted_now

addicted_now Astrea Snail

Nice tank crusty. I have my BC 29 up an running now. Have 40lb of sand in it and 25-35 lbs of live rock. I have a sapphire skimer in center chamber. 13t chamber has my heater in it. have the UV sterilizer in 3rd chamber inline of the filter. koralia 2 pump, found it was two strong for my tank an so i had to create a dimmer switch adn outlet to control the rate. Was not two bad about 15 dollars in parts from lowes. Also installed a lighting kit from nanotuners that increased my light out put to 108w instead of 72. Lights are on a timer. My live stock for the tank include, sixline wrasse, 2 false percs. domino damsle, and a watchman golby. Inverts are a coral banded shrimp, feather duster, 3 snails, 8 herrmit crabs, an pin urchin. Still waiting on a collection cup for my skimmer (was shipped with out a collection cup) and to make sure my water does not spike before i add corals or anemone.

4. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

I have favia,lobo,pagoda cup,leathers,gorgonians,glove polyps,zoas,frogspawn,candy canes,clove polyps,scroll coral,turbinaria,fungia plate,mushrooms,elegance coral and a trachophylia brain in my 29BC. I used a HOB red sea prizm pro with a home made sump extension and I used this skimmer to get a evap cooling effect.I also made a uv sterilizer with stuff from lows for about $35.I have only changed my lights once a year including the LEDs.I dont use the little carbon filter that came with it.I can put carbon and media in the protein skimmer.I use little squares of that blue/white filter pad on the water tray to keep heavy stuff off the bio-balls.I have pics in an album on my profile.
    I am very happy with my biocube and so are my black clowns,coral beauty,coral banded shrimp and lawnmower blenny.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  5. moose

moose Astrea Snail

biocube with a sump!

I was attracted to the biocube, but figured that more water would be a more stable system.

Been looking at this guys sump, and thought "Wow!". I realize a sump defeats the thought of an all-in-one system. But, most folks mod the biocubes. That's what this sump is, a mod (at least to me).

Check it out!

YouTube - 29 Gallon Biocube Custom Sump-Fuge "Walk Through"

6. addicted_now

addicted_now Astrea Snail

Just Got back from a New LFS I have heard about today. Was amazed with there layout and all the livestock there. Have a nice 1200 gallon display tank. Well i left there with a Frog spawn coral frag, an Zoos assort. frag has orange, green, and purple buttons on it(about 5-8 of each color). An one Small Yellow tang. Was sitting here and was completely amazed at the Frog spawn when I saw it for the first time in the moon light bulbs on its erie looking just sitting there glowing, I like it.

7. Tbstr3

Tbstr3 Skunk Shrimp

heres mine everything is still a baby

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Erin1990

Erin1990 Plankton

I love it!!

I love your tank. This is what I had in mind for my tank. I know that it has been said that bigger is better with salt water tanks but I just don't have the room for that right now....my roomy would kill me if I got water and such on our hardwood floors LOL! So this would be in my room.

10. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

using a dimmer switch to contorl the powerhead isnt such a good idea. the motor is designed to run at a certain speed to keep it in good working order. by using a dimmer switch, the current changes and will burn it up.

11. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

12. Erin1990

Erin1990 Plankton

thanks yours is really cool also. Im going tomorrow to pick out my tank....keep fingers and toes crossed for me! LOL I written notes of things I need to be looking for; this is so cool. I will finally be getting my own little part of the ocean.