BioCube Stock

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Beausoleiljacob, Aug 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have had the Yellow Tail Damsel a few times in Nano's without incident.

If you get two shrimp but add them at the same time.

Another thing to consider is the Yellow Watchman Goby and a Pistol Shrimp combo.

2. Click Here!

3. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

Okay! Then Out of all the fish listed above how would you stock my aquarium. The second list ;)

4. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

So would my stock be the 4 fish plus the 2 shrimp and the clean up crew?

5. Corailline

Yes shrimp and the cuc add very little to the bio-load.

6. bland8126

bland8126 Astrea Snail

Blue DEVIL Damsel HaHaHa!

zesty likes this.
  7. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

Ok thanks. I have another quick question would you be able to provide me with a list that I should I get for corals? How long should I wait until I get such organisms? Can you make sure they are good for the stock lighting and will grow nicely and remain healty? Also, would you be able to create a lighting schedule for me? How long should the lights be on a day? Sorry for all the requests and questions. You have been a great help!

Would this Work:
    9am - Moonlights On
    10 - Actinic On
    11 - 10K On (Moonlights Off)
    6 - 10K Off
    7 - Actinic Off (Moonlights on)
    8 pm- ALL Off

9 Hours - Actinics
    7 Hours - Regular
    TOTAL:11 Hours

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Well my preferences may not be to your liking. I am not a fan of any soft coral that has the potential to become invasive such as Anthelia, Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Palys, Cauliflower, Colt. The Corallimorphs/Mushrooms I am on the fence about.

In the soft coral department I like the Sarcophyton/Toadstools, Sinularia/Cabbage. For the Corallimorphs/Mushrooms I like Ricordia, Rhodactis.
    Capnella, or green Kenya Tree, it can be invasive though.

For the stony LPS/lage polyp corals: Acans, Favia, all the Euphyllias (Torch, Frogspawn, Hammer), Blastomussa and Ducans. All pretty hardy corals.

Sure that lighting schedule will work fine. :) You're still looking at the AI correct?

Most new hobbyist really like to try some Xenia and GSP, they are beautiful and hardy, and you might like them very much. I have had them in past tanks and really enjoyed them but eventually they always took over. You have to think real estate limitations in small tanks.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

You can really trust Corailline's advice on all topics :) In terms of her suggestions, check out the yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp combination. I think pistols can become aggressive toward other shrimps but I've seen where many people keep another type with a pistol - it's just something to be aware of. Since you are a beginner, I might suggest that you try some very hardy corals like xenia and green star polyps. I have them in my tank and still really like them. Mushrooms are also hardy and add pops of color. Torch, frogspawn, and hammers are also hardy and add nice movement and color. Corals are not like fish in that there is usually not a "limit" to the number - it's more in relation to space available. The LPS will need some extra space because they can sting other corals but like types (hammers next to hammers, torch next to torch, etc.) can be put fairly close together just give space away from other types of coral.

In terms of fish, you had asked about clowns - you can mix colors of clowns but it's best to stay in the same family. I think you mentioned the black ice - as long as you stay with that type - occellaris (sp) - you can mix. It's best to buy the clowns when they are small and are the same size. That way you know you have males and they most likely will be compatible. It is ideal if you can to add the clowns last since once they establish a territory - they can become aggressive toward new tank mates.