Biocube Owners Unite! (Owner's Thread)

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Astrick117, May 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

I think I already said how much I work on mine, but that was a while ago so I will update. I feed about every other day just holding cyclopeeze in the water until it thaws. Once or twice a week I spotfeed corals by turning the pumps off for about 15 min and squirting food on them.

I clean the back chamber floss and thin the chaeto about once a month, water change about every two months now. I have my ato filled with kalk and I fill that every 2-3 months. Phosphate is generally 0.00 (hanna checker) and nitrates undetectable (salifert).

I just replaced my panorama pro's with Steve’s LED kit. I got the 99% finished version and man am I impressed. The quality is amazing, I could never hope to assemble and wire LEDs that well.

For extra $60 they installed another driver and 6 violets as that is the min needed to run on that driver. They responded quickly and helped a bit with selection. Ended up with:

4 4k white
    3 cool blue
    1 cyan
    6 royal blue
    6 violet

Here is the tank now. About 50% white channel and 70% violets and blues:
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Coachty34

Coachty34 Astrea Snail

Astrick117,

Thanks for the information. How many hours per week to do all that?

Coach

4. Coachty34

Coachty34 Astrea Snail

Hart,

Your tank is absolutely beautiful!!! Thank you for all the information. Very very helpful.

Coach

5. hart24601

I spend under 1hr per week on the tank including feeding and cleaning the glass. About 3 hours a month doing WC and cleaning filter media if I do both, otherwise 30 min a month cleaning/replacing media. I frag when needed but that takes about 1hr every couple months.
    BUT that is because I have found the "sweet spot" so to speak with this tank. I spent more time on it for the 1st year when I was learning. I would say 4hr/week total for the 1st year.

6. hart24601

Thank you! I have learned lots from my biocube. Easily my favorite tank that I have ever had.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

looking really, really nice! Just a nice variety and blend of colors. The coloration on your clown is beautiful!

8. Click Here!

9. 71sbeetle

71sbeetle Fire Shrimp

Well, it's been 4 years since I've sold my RSM250 tank ..... And it looks like I am buying a new Coralife BioCube 29 today. I have a couple questions though:
    1- Which stand do you use? The LFS recommended against the Coralife one.
    2- Is a UV sterilizer necessary?

I'm planning on a reef tank with a 2-3 fishes, inverts, steve's leds and eventually mp10 and apex.

10. Mechanic1

Mechanic1 Plankton

Mine has been up for2years never used uv and never had a reason to think I needed to.
    Best upgrades were a mp10wes and radion.

11. Mechanic1

Mechanic1 Plankton

Here's a current shot of tank

Attached Files:

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

what is on your sand bed?