Biocube Owners Unite! (Owner's Thread)

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Astrick117, May 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Yes nice cube you have there. :)

2. Click Here!

3. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

I found out an interesting trick with the biocube. If your power head is on the right side like the image below, you can add a underwater salinity meter that will become a detritus trap.

[​IMG]

Here's a video of my wrasse stuck in it, you can kind of see some of the detritus that I'm talking about. This is what I collected overnight. After a week it's filled.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums...CCF06A0-1357-000001DA4D319CD4_zps1ebc2eb2.mp4

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Interesting premise... also, I think you just found a very efficient way to capture six line wrasses lol

Personally I think I'd rather just have my filter floss in my media basket trap all the detritus. I just prefer the clean tank look...

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Ok, so Im looking to add one more fish to my Biocube 29. So far, I have a Midas Blenny and a pair of Occ Clowns. Must be reef safe.

Any thoughts on a cool add? I have two in mind, but don't want to bias opinions.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I have a little lyretail hawkfish that is super active (all over the tank) and very colorful (red).

7. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Interesting! Is there any concern with its size in a 29g cube (since they can grow to 6")?

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

I didn't realize they grew that large obviously.....it hasn't grown at all since I've had it....

I just looked up LA recommends minimum tank size of 30 gallons so perhaps it is a slow grower.

Always nice when someone tries to be helpful and gets slammed.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Depending on the lifestyle of the fish a 6" fish could be fine in a 30g, or it may need a 130g. The hawkfish can be kept in a smaller tank because they perch for most of the day, instead of swimming around. I'd recommend a longnose hawkfish because they're the most peaceful.

11. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Sorry, I didn't mean that as an insult, I actually really like the suggestion- I just wasn't sure because of the size whether it would be ok.

12. oldfishkeeper

no problem, sorry I seemed a little over sensitive in rereading that :)