Biocube Mods complete, now what?!?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Biocube, Feb 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Fragging, selling, fragging, selling and then some more fragging and selling

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Alright, the Lightfoot and starfish are GONE!!!

We bought a Diamond Goby for the meantime until we can find something that will take care of the sand bead. The sand bead is 3 inches thick.... Any ideas for a BC29?

4. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

hermit crabs and the nassarius snail..these snails are great cuc members for sand beds..they mainly stay in the sand bed and glass, i hardly every see mine on rocks and they are small so when they do get on rocks they rarely knock off frags like turbo snails do..

google Clean up crew for 29 gallon tank, you should pull up some other posts of what people have tried for the same size tank..

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Okay, so this is news to me but from what I see I have the new
    Series of the BioCube 29. There is an opening on top between chamber 2 and 3. This is causing a crap ton of issues with my skimmer and keeping my water levels right for my filters. Does anyone have an idea how to block this opening?!!

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

**pic posted**

Here is what you all asked for! :) Enjoy~~~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

+1 on the Nassarius snails, they do a really good job, ive got about 25 in my tank, and when you feed its like watching zombies come out of the ground its pretty cool :eek: lol

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Well here is my question...
    I was just told to NOT have a 3 inch sand bed in my Nano tank... Is this correct?!

10. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Why not?

:confused:

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

From what I understood he mentioned something about flow and ammonia seeping up from the sand and lowering the PH levels.... Does any of this make sence?

12. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

...... Not to me... What I understand is that a sand bed of 1-2" is good but not a DSB. It all has to do with bacteria population. With a shallow sand bed of 1-2" you will have tons of the bacteria that process ammonia into nitrite and then nitrite into nitrate (nitrifying bacteria).

The purpose of a deeper sand bed is to have the bacteria that need deeper, anaerobic conditions, that convert it all from nitrate to nitrogen gas or Hydrogen sulfide. These bacteria need a DSB of about 4" or more.

The only reason I would say that a 3" sand bed is bad would be because it's right in the middle and it may be cheaper to just go with 2" instead. Or, you could go for the 4" and have a DSB.

I don't think there's anything bad that will come from a 3" sand bed though. IMO

Hope This Helps