Bio wheels

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by CG, Feb 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Even though I don't care for Bio wheels I don't know if they need to be tossed from every tank using them. I believe in balance in a tank and some of the posts here are looking for the quick fix if you have high nitrates look for possible problems and eliminate the easy ones If you are doing everything correctly on an established tank and still have high nitrates then it probably is the wheel, But before ripping your filtration apart with every comment or remark that is made make sure you really know why you are doing it and what you should do if that isn't the problem. I think intimacy and complete knowledge of your own system is better then cookie cutter this is what everybody does approach

2. Click Here!

3. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

My nitrates are zero. ;D
    but I would like to upgrade my set up and in the future get rid of the bio wheel altogether when I get a sump/refugeium

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i got rid of my bio-wheel in my power filter. can i put my power filter in a sump

5. Phil5613

Look out Mason has been bitten by the reef upgrade bug!! I am always tinkering with mine also so I understand the want to change my only advice is leave the old filter running for about 30 days after adding the new filter this will allow the bacteria to grow in the new filter without hurting the tank.

Hottie why use a power filter in your sump? With the exception of my above statement what would you gain with a power filter in the sump?

6. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i don't know I just don't want the intake in my main tank it takes away from the look.

7. Phil5613

Asked the question wrong I guess. What are you using the sump for and if adding a sump why not take advantage of the space to design the fliteration you want and ditch the power filter all together?

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I use bio wheels as they make a good alternative to wet dry's which also cause high nitrates, what I did with mine was to put live rock rubble in the filter boxes so some of the water is denitrified by the live rock before hitting the bio wheels. I have an emporer 400 with 2 wheels, I took 1 wheel out and plugged up the holes of the spray bar with silicone aquarium sealer and my nitrates run about 1ppm in a 30 gal reef tank. I also use an aqua clear 300 filled with live rock rubble and a remora skimmer. Havent lost a coral yet and I have 3 fish in the tank.