Bigger Pump In Nano?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Kas, Dec 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

I have an AquaPod 24G and the pump that came with the tank runs so slowly. Has anyone replaced the standard pump with a larger one? A greasy looking film is always on the water surface and water moves very slow through the tank into the back chambers. Any thoughts on this? Thanks! Kas

2. Click Here!

3. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

4. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a 12 gal Aquapod - swapped out the standard pump for a MJ1200. You might also want to block off the middle and/or bottom water intake so you have more flow going through the overflow.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Maybe create a surface skimmer!

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I would try a surface skimmer like coral reefer said, or lower you water level some.. In my case, I added a surface skimmer that came with my 12 gal nano...

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Oh yeah, I didn't put in a bigger pump, I just added a small power head hidden behind my rockwork....

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

This looks like just the ticket on Ebay!

You are bidding on the an upgrade kit for your JBJ 24G Nano Cube.

One of the biggest complaints of the JBJ Nano Cubes is the poor circulation and weak filtration. There are two factors that cause this:

Inadequately weak stock pump
    Poorly designed outtake nozzle

This kit will significantly improve the circulation, filtration and overall health of the tank. Anyone who has ever gone scuba diving can attest to the naturally strong ocean currents. Ocean organisms have adapted to this and actually require it for their general livelihood (unless you are keeping seahorses, which require minimal circulation). Poor circulation can lead to many problems, including cyano-bacteria buildup, accumulation of nitrates, and poor health of your expensive livestock. The kit does require minimal modification to the feet of the pump to allow it to properly fit into the third chamber in the back. Using a small saw or clipper, it should take one minute to do. Click here for modification directions.

What's included:

Maxi-jet 1200 Powerhead. This is rated at 297 gallons per hour, which is over twice the rate of the stock pump that comes with the Nano Cube DX. The Maxi-jet 1200 is the preferred replacement pump for the JBJ 24G Nano Cubes because of their quiet yet powerful operation. It also does not generate as much heat as other powerheads and does not release oil into the water. Check out Nano-Reef.com - The source for nano reef aquarium information for reviews.

Loc-line Y-connector with 2 flare nozzles. This will allow you to point the nozzles in 2 different directions, creating random water movement similar to ocean conditions and minimizing the possibility of dead spots that harbor the accumulation of waste. In a tank this small, a small problem turns into a large problem very quickly.

Ever since I upgraded my Nano Cube, my corals, anenome, and fish have been much healthier and more vigorous. I have seen an increase in featherduster worms and other organisms that seem to appear out of nowhere. This kit will allow you to add more live rock and interesting corals, some of which will die if an inadequate amount of circulation is not present.

I think I may invest in the 12 Gal mod kit.

JBJ 12G NANO CUBE FILTRATION CIRCULATION PUMP UPGRADE

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I replaced the pump in two of these with a mini maxi jet I gave a 24 to Amcarrig that was in my way and had to go the pumps in these are junk Its a simple swap and works perfectly..
    The mini has been pumping since last June no problems at all.

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Good idea...recall which size mini MJ you used for 24 gal. Which do you suggest for 12? :-/

THX

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I can't recall the size now maybe the thing was 404 ? I'll look and post back I have a case of them at the shop we put them in saltwater holding tanks to keep stirred at out clients places makes our work easier. It rocks some water and you can adjust the slide to slow it