Big Mistake

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by gabbyr189, Aug 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Great! Thanks for the fast response!

2. Click Here!

3. gabbyr189

Alright I am ready to solder. I just practiced on the broken LEDs, and I've got the hang of it. The only thing is that I just used the thermal grease a couple hours ago. It isn't dry yet. Should I hold off on soldering? Will it mess with the thermal grease?

4. gabbyr189

Ok I realize now that this was not the smartest idea.. No need for commentary lol.. Yes they moved all around. I just used electrical tape to tape everything down while the thermal grease dries. I will take it off in a day or two. Almost finished soldering, so far so good..

5. gabbyr189

It works!! Success! ;D

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Well, in reading through this thread...I am quite impressed with Gabby's problem solving and solutions. I wish I knew about such things - it has to be handy in this hobby :)

7. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

A diy girl now that's hot lol congrats gabby

8. Click Here!

9. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Are you using thermal grease or adhesive? The grease will never dry (grease is typically used with screws that hold the LED down), while the adhesive dries permanently in an hour or two (it'll slide around before it dries completely).

10. gabbyr189

I actually did use the grease, and I quickly realized that it was not drying. I can imagine this will be a problem (as they slide around). Is there a good way to safely and thoroughly remove the grease without damaging the bulbs? I was thinking of using either a detergent or alcohol. Though I enjoyed this project, I would rather not replace these LEDs again for some time to come.

If worse comes to worse, would it be a terrible idea to just leave the thermal grease on there. I could secure them on there by throwing a few pieces of electrical tape on the surrounding wires (it sticks to the heat sink very well). Though, in all honesty, I'd rather just do it the right way..

Also, anyone have any links to some more electrical projects? I really enjoyed this project and I'd like to build something on my own ;D I was thinking I could start out with something easy like a diy ATO, but I would rather incorporate that into my apex with the I/O breakout box so I can get the email alerts.. I suppose I will also have to buy a new multimeter and learn how to use it properly. I forgot to mention that after this LED incident, I was playing around with the thing and accidentally blew it up. Lol it was awesome. I destroyed the carpet though :-[

11. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Some simple green or alcohol should get the grease off safely, you can then re-apply thermal adhesive when the LEDs are dry.

A DIY ATO isn't too difficult if you have the right parts, though I've never incorporated one into an Apex before so not sure how much complexity that would add.

1 person likes this.
  12. gabbyr189