Big Al's DYMAX Planted Pico (New Update!)

Discussion in 'Big Al's Online' started by Big Al's Online, May 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Big Al's Online

Big Al's Online 3reef Sponsor

Thank you Matt,

We do try to keep things interesting! Although, it's tough to be popular with a planted tank on a forum full of reef geeks ;)

2. Click Here!

3. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

looks great, great writeup, and good ideas with the moss. how do you keep the tools from rusting? id buy all that stuff, but it just seems like it'd rust out eventually. i dont know how to properly care for those tools. the zoo-med tweezers i had rusted out.

4. Big Al's Online

All it takes to keep these tools in perfect condition is to wipe them off with a hand towel when you are finished using them. If they are not left wet, there is no way to rust!

5. FateSaint

FateSaint Plankton

strongly strongly thinking about getting one of these setup!

I have a 20gallon long for my Crystal Red Shrimp, but I was kind of wanting to start to branch out and start selectively breeding a few.

That said I know I'd pretreat this filter with my current filter and use substrate(ADA Amazonia II) from my existing tank as well.(water changes would just be using my current 20long tank water to keep it consistent and better stabilized).

Think this idea would work? and Two of those robot lights for the plants? or do I need the 3?

update on how your tank looks now would be great too considering its been about a month :)

6. Big Al's Online

It should work just fine. As far as the lighting goes, you could easily use 2 for lower light plants. Even 1 robot LED could sustain Java moss, although 2 would produce better growth.

Sorry for the long delay!

7. Big Al's Online

OK well, we are long overdue for an update!
    A few photos of the growth over the past month

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some close-ups

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We let things get a little out of hand in the tank as the month got busier and there was a really stringy fine hair algae outbreak that you can see in the last photos. It is also terribly overgrown.

We already cleaned everything up and took all the fishing line off the driftwood since the moss is now firmly attached. Those photos should follow shortly!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. Great little planted tank. I can't wait to get mine. I ordered it from you all last week!

matt

10. Big Al's Online

You'll have tons of fun with it! They are great little aquariums. Make sure to post photos of yours when you get it all set up! we'd love to see what other members are doing with their Dymax tanks.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh I will! :)

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Everytime I look at this thread I want one more. I nearly had my wife talked into one for her clothing store. I'll try harder!
    Great little planted! Kudo's