Bicolor Angelfish- reef compatible?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by meagan1823, Apr 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

2. Click Here!

3. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I have a dwarf african flameback and they do nip at corals, fish. They arent a fish that you just buy. You had better want one.

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Every so often someone comes across an angelfish that is a problem. This is LARGELY the exception, not the rule. I have a coral beauty who has never touched anything. Not a bicolor, but related. My rule for angels is go ahead, but have some sort of backup plan. Again, you shouldn't have any problems.

5. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

6. meagan1823

Well, I really don't have a backup plan.
    I don't have a sump or anythign to where I could "banish" it to if it got ugly and I don't have any LFS to sell it back to either.

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Bicolor's are one of the worst dwarf angels when it comes to "reef safe"-ness. Coral beauties and Potter's are among some of the best, so just because a coral beauty is safe I wouldn't recommend a bicolor. They are also very poor shippers and unless you find a good specimen thats been at the shop for a while and is eating good I would pass on them.

What do you have as far as coral in the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. meagan1823

I have nothing right now.
    I have only had my tank for up for 5 wekks. It should be about done cycleing now
    I have 40 lbs LS, 30 lbs LR and 30 Lbs BR
    1 Koralia 2 powerhead, heater, T5 lights and I had to order a replacement item for my protein skimmer but I have a Turboflotor multi sl that should be up a running my this weekend.

10. tmv8888

tmv8888 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My coral beauty never touches anything either, you'll probably be fine.

11. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

You should say good luck then!;D

12. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I have had a coral beauty before and I have a dwarf angel now. My dwarf is only a few inches big and he has so much attitude. We are trying to get him out of our reef tank so we can put him in our big aggressive tank. Between the dwarf and clown they have been stressing any fish and causing death and I been noticing bites on my trumpet coral and someone has been biting polyps also. My dwarf will kick any coral beauties butt. LOL