Beware of reefwerks! need DIY advice please!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by cosmo, Jan 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

If its a DIY yourself and you the customer had him install the leds yes its custom work. As it looks the modulared DIY kit doesnt come with the LED mounted to the heatsink?

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Not the point really! It was not what i ordered! If the company sends something OTHER than what the customer ordered, why should the customer have to pay a restocking fee?

Ok if you ordered a PS3 from Best Buy, and they sent you a WII, should you have to pay a restocking fee?

4. leighton1245

That is the point and that is why you have to pay a restocking fee im assuming, not to mention the vendor will have to eat the cost of the product then turn around and have to sell it again. If you go buy wheels for your car and have tires mounted on your wheels guess what you are going to pay a restocking fee. If you open a 360 or PS3 and try to return it to best buy you will pay a restocking fee.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

So you're telling me if you ordered a PS3 from Best Buy online, and then they sent you a WII, you'd be happy to pay a restocking fee?

6. leighton1245

If i opened the box and had it painted or something mounted to it, i wouldnt be happy but would be expecting to pay a restocking fee. You had custom work done so restocking fee isnt to bad the vendor could have still charged you for labor.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I paid X dollars for a FINISHED COMPLETE FIXTURE, and received a very PARTIALLY done diY kit! And it took 2 months, maybe I should charge interest! I'm really missing how your defending this? Of you ordered and complete reef ready 200 gallon tank that when you received it, all youd have to do is add water, and it was promised to you in 2 weeks, then 2 months and 100 excuses later, you received 5 pieces of glass and some silicon, you'd be happy paying shipping back and a restocking fee?

Plus custom?? It's a standard DIY Kit that you go to the website, and click 1 thing to add to cart! Not too custom!

8. Click Here!

9. leighton1245

Standard DIY kit- DIY yourself means you put your stuff together yourself.

Now the part where you had the vendor mount the LEDs because they dont come like that (takes time and time is money) so if reefwerks refunded your all your money including anything charged for labor you are ahead of the game. Now the restocking fee you had him mount the emitters so he cant resale the DIY kit unless he finds someone that need and will pay for your kit. So yes i would say its completely justified.

The reason why im defending this is because you did get most of what you ordered but not all of it: so you are right to return the kit. On the other hand yelling that its a scam because you have to pay a 15% restocking fee and that is it on something that you ask to have modified i think that is a bit unreasonable.

10. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I realize he is a friend and I agree there might be a very very remote argument for a restocking fee, but the fact is it's bad business. As a business, I shouldn't charge a restocking fee if I sent out the COMPLETE wrong thing. I mean if you think about, you could run a pretty damn good scam buy sending out stuff that is incorrect and just charging restocking fee and then resending it out to another unsuspecting customer. You'd have one hell of a profit.

And I'm not saying this is what he is doing, just that a restocking fee to me is unreasonable.

1 person likes this.
  11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I didn't ask for anything to be modified! I asked and was promised a COMPLETE 48 Cree led system with meanwell dimmable drivers that was ready to hang and plug into the wall! PERIOD! And it was promised to me in a couple of weeks! The list of lies as the the extended time it took is documented! how he went about getting me my complete kit as promised is not really my fault! Why should I pay because he chose not to complete the build as promised? If I had received anything close to what was promised ok, but this was far from close, as well as the various other items I have paid for and not received!

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'm very happy you've had good experiences with him, but i think there's enough evidence out there, as well as the people with very similar stories on here, that this seems to be a pattern! With the restocking fee and return shipping, i'm out $145 and have nothing to show for it! Maybe i'll read up on charging interest!