Beta injured

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by arrow, Aug 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arrow

arrow Plankton

This is difficult to bring up but something happened to our fish.. A child who is no longer allowed in our house , grabbed my daughter's beta fish out of the bowl and somehow injured him. I was not there at the time, and got him out of the house .
    This poor fish who we have not had very long is a first pet of my daughter's .
    I do not know exactly what happened, but it is clear that he roughly grabbed the fish. Small parts of the side of the fish's body is white, as though he might have scales missing. It is miraculous he has survived since this happened yesterday morning. Although , it is clear this poor fish seems to be heavily breathing, and something is sticking out as though his gills are struggling to work. ( the gills more open and the color of them showing ? Black ? - I don't know a lot about these fish or fish in general )
    I realize he may not survive, and he did not eat this morning.
    I feel badly enough about this, but if anyone has any suggestions . We did change his water so there would not be an increase of bacteria. I do not know if the injury was bad enough that there is internal problems .
    If anyone has thoughts on how to help this fish it is appreciated. Don't worry, I learned my lesson and no one like this will ever by in my house again. :-[
    arrow

2. Click Here!

3. arrow

arrow Plankton

Never mind. The poor fish died.

Arrow

1 person likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh that's horrible. Sorry for you loss! :'(

5. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

The black frill that you saw coming out of its gills was his collar, a frill that beta male and females alike (although the females is barely noticable) use to show dominance and aggresion. Its like when a cat puffs up at another cat, it just wantsd to look bigger and tougher. It most likely released it so that it would be able to take in more oxygen. Poor little guy.
    Dont worry, I know its upsetting, but things do happen. i just lost my little Jackson, i had him for two years. He was a very intelligent little fishy. He decieded to hop out of his tank and curl up in my bed while i was at work, poor lil guy didnt realize that he would be able to hop back in.
    I had also lost his mate Luna to the hands of my baby sister who had wondered into my room and decided that a little white betta with purple fins looked like a mighty tasty snack
    :(
    Betta are very resiliant litle creatures tho, get another one, if thats the families wish, and just keep him out of reach when theres company.

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

That sucks. I was going to recommend some melafix, but then i saw he died. Bummer. Better call that boys parents and request he come over with a new fish and apologies :eek: