best way to remove an anemone? and some corals

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by elweshomayor, Mar 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

ok so its time to move my 29G tank over to the other house as well..

question is... how do i remove the anemone who is attached to the rock?

ive heard about rubbing an ice cube on its foot? ( will it just drop off? or something?)..

can i just peel it off?

what about my toadstool/ kenya tree? can i just peel it off? or do i have to cut it off?

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I would just remove the rock with the 'nem on it, if you can. That would be ideal.

I've heard of the ice cube trick as well. I think the cold temperature irritates it a bit and it should let go.

4. Tykimeister

Tykimeister Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The anenomie you can peel it off with your thumb. Or, you can just put the whole rock/anenomie in a 1 gallon bag if the rock isn't too big. If the move is taking less than a hour, just throw the anenomie and rock in a 5 gallon bucket with salt water.

Toadstool you wont want to cut, because if its large it will take a long time to attach to a new rock. Use a 5 gallon bucket with salt water.

Kenya tree, just cut it off, or keep it attached to the rock. It will be hard to kill the kenya tree.

5. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Yeah, I would suggest trying to move it with the rock first. But if that's not possible, try the ice method. :-/ Be very careful.

Good luck,
    Mike

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

the thing is that i am getting rid of the rock that the anemone is on because its just full of this coral i hate.. (snake coral?)... it just spreads and spreads... so im going to boil the rock and have it dry and maybe put it back later.. ( 2 months from now).

i brought some of the rock that i ordered for my 10G so i have a replacement for it. but that rock has to go...

is there any issues by using the ice method? or why be very careful?

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

...be careful so you don't hurt the foot of the anemone. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Peter T

Peter T Flamingo Tongue

With the ice method, put it in a ziplock bag so you do not apply the ice directly to the foot. You put the anemone at a greater risk that way. Even then, it is still a pain to do. I find that using a powerhead to get a portion of the anemone's foot free of the rock works best for me. Then peel slowly with patience for the rest.

Many ways to skin the cat on this one. Unfortunately, most of them are still a pain if the anemone is in a very tight crevasse.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah the ice trick works very well........that is how I would remove anemone from rocks at the fish store. You see the foot of the anemone curl up and you keep moving it closer and closer to the bottom side of the foot until you are able to pop it off.

Never pull the anemone off the rock as it can damage the foot and cause an infection that will kill the nem.

As for the leather, if you cant move the rock then I would either chisel the rock around the corals or cut the leather at the base of the rock. If you could get a piece of the rock with in then you will have an easier time having it attach, otherwise you will need to use rubberbands and toothpicks to attach it to the new rock

11. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Exactly. Some good advice here, you should be fine. With some reading and good care, the nem should be just fine.

12. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy Coral Banded Shrimp

i used the ice method when i got my anemone out of my friends tank and put it in mine. just put ice cubes in a sandwich bag and hold it on its foot it will release.