Best way to oxygenate Salt mix for immediate use

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Nismo400rgtr, Mar 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

The problem with adding in concentrated SW is as you get evaporation your going to get a final higher SQ than your looking form forcing you to do further water changes to bring it then back down. You dont need an ATO, just dump some salt water into your water bucket or whatever container you use. Doesnt matter how it gets in the tank, lol. Anyways it seems you are pretty set on your plan, let us know how it works out.

2. Click Here!

3. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Cosmo mentioned I could add salt to my top-offs and I think most people here generally use an ATO for that. I was simply mentioning I don't have an ATO to do it that way. So yes you are correct in saying that I don't need one to accomplish my goal.

I've got my mixed salt batch in a bucket on a bar stool next to the tank with an airline tubing siphoned drip feeding the DT at a rate of 1 drop every 4 seconds. Had that going since last evening. Salinity as of 8AM today is 1.024.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Honesrtly I think that you are over thinking this. You salinity is fine honestly. You don't have to be in a hurry to raise it. All you really have to do is mix all your next water changes to 1.026 and your salinity will eventually get there. I was running my softie tank with two clowns in at 1.021 until just he other day. All my coras were as happy as can be.

I don't use an air stone at all unless my power goes out. I typically use a korilla 550 in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater to mix my water for pwc's. Works just fine for me.. I have also just my hand to mix the new saltwater as well.
    Mozilla/4.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; Sanyo; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Boost SCP6760

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

LOL i dont either it was a long shot.

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

yup same here. I use a low power powerhead and a low gallon thermometer. No ATO, or airlines or dripping. I just add a little at a time into either my overflow box or in the in section of my sump, so its already well on the way to mixed by the time it hits the DT. If it fluctuates a little bit thats ok, cause I dont think all ocean saltwater is exactly 1.026.

this hobby existed long before ATO's, dosers, controllers, gizmo this and that. Not to say those things arent nice, but the tank wont crash & the world wont end without them.

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I would like to have all those things as well, but I don't really feel like spending the money on them right now lol. I don't even have a sump right now.

8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I keep a 30 gallon tub of salt water mixed at all times. When i use some for water changes i refill from my ro/di tank above and re-mix. This keeps it oxygenated at all times

10. Nismo400rgtr

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know it isn't that big a deal having had the salinity as low as it was. Truthfully it's probably been that way for months since I only just calibrated my refractometer. I've been worried about my SPS coloration for some time and to finally find something off that could have an effect on it I was like "Ah Haa" lol. Even so, it's not like hitting 1.026 by tomorrow will have all their colors back to normal in a flash...I'll have to maintain it and it'll probably take weeks for the colors to change/IF they do.

When I perform wc's I use the new saltwater mix as soon as it's temperature matched to my DT. So like many of you, I also have a heater and powerhead in my mixing bucket. And with no sump as well, the water gets pumped into the DT via hose and powerhead. I've never had anything show detrimental signs to this method.

I do tend to overthink things. Again thanks to all who chimed in! :)

Currently salinity is 1.0245

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Sounds like you are doing a job of raising it slowly. Just remember to go slowly lol. ;)

12. Nismo400rgtr

1.025 at 12:30PM today.

Once I hit my 1.026 target...which will likely be tomorrow, I'm going to add Freshwater to the remainder of what's in the bucket. Get that to a salinity of 1.024-1.025 and use that to top off the rest of the tank. My water level was a bit lower than I'd like anyway so this will get it up a tad.