Best way to move to a new tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by tooconceited, Nov 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

I'm getting a 36 gallon bowfront on friday. It's going to replace me 30G cube. I'm tired of trying to work a sump that fits under the cube. What is the best way to move everything over to the new tank? I was thinking I could put the live rock, coral, fish and shrimp in a big tub I have and then move the sand over. Then move the live rock and then the rest. It's not a big size increase so hopefully it won't start a cycle if everything is kept in the water right? Just looking for advice, I know a lot of you guys have moved up in tanks.

2. Click Here!

3. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

nobody has any advice on how they did theirs? I have seen threads real recently of people moving to a bigger tank. :p

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Ok, the best piece of advice is to have an action plan and be prepared. This will enable you to get the job done, most efficiently and effectively with the least amount of stress brought upon to your livestock.
    You are going to need bins, buckets etc. to store your livestock, rock and substrate.
    Basically, the aim for you is to use as much of the water from your 30 as you can to put into the new 36 bow! One VERY IMPORTANT tidbit, make sure you have saltwater prepared to add to your new tank at the correct temp, pH salinity etc. before ou even start the move/switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now that you have all this set up, you are ready to go-start by removing your coral/liverock and inverts. Place them in a bin with water from your existing tank. Then remove the fish and place them in a separate bin/bucket.
    Now, take the rest, or as much water from the 30 as you can and put it into your new 36 gal tank. You can now, slowly remove the substrate from the 30 and slowly place it into the new tank trying not to stir up sediment to cloud the water in your new tank.
    You can now add the live rock to your new tank, then the coral, inverts and fish. Add some of the new water to your new tank to bring the water level up to the desired level slowly! (DO NOT) add the water that housed your fish/corals/live rock in holding while the switch was being made-polluted/acidic/low oxygen water etc.!!!
    Once all of this is done...if you are going to use the same powerheads etc. the best time to do this, and I would advise that you do thoroughly take advantage of this time to clean your equipment, would be NOW!
    Once the water is at the desired level, you may want to check your water parameters the following day for piece of mind, and keep an eye open for any changes in fish /invert behavior, coloration and eating habits to make sure they have made it through the switch effortlessly and under as little stress as possible. The same holds true with corals, anemone's and clams.
    The main thing, in addition to being prepared, is to keep as many variables constant as you can-no abrupt changes in water quality, coral placement, temperature etc. to alleviate as much stress as you can.
    One final note: try to stay as calm as you can...your livestock will thankyou for it, as it will go along way in the success and ease of the tank switch/move!
    Now, itwill be easier for you than It was for me as I moved 45 minutes away and was going from a 75 gal tank to a 125 as well as taking apart my 30 hex and setting that up at the new place.
    I lost nothing but one Acropora frag...pretty unbelievable, I think-I give my fish, inverts and coral alot of credit for resiliency and ability to make a move like that. The reason why I say this is that you will have no problem with your switch-just think it through, don't panic and be prepared!!!!
    Best of luck!
    I hope this works and isn't to verbose!

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Last I did was a 55 for a friend ..
    1st get everything together the tank hood sump pumps everything for the new tank then set the new one next to the old one. Set it up like its going to be used
    2nd then take buckets tubs and put all the water from the old one into these holding containers fish rocks corals water. Then at the end with a dust type pan remove the sand .
    3rd move old emptied one out of the way and slide the new one in the place.
    4th then reverse 1 thru 2 thats it ..Its how I have always done it.. After the new stuff is all together it should take a couple of hours ..

6. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Thanks for the great info, guys...I'm sure it'll come in hand to many of us at one point or another...

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The only thing I can add to this advice is to have some "extra" saltwater ready. About 10-20 gallons over the additional 6 you're going to need anyway due to the fact that you're moving into a larger tank. For some reason, whenever I've made a tank switch, I was always short on water.

8. Click Here!

9. Dozerman

Dozerman Plankton

just moving my 90g reef into a 125, im 1/2 way :) goin well so far, havin a beer or 4 while i wait for the water to clear a bit before puttin corals in

10. Dozerman

Dozerman Plankton

*edit wow this is an old thread i ended up in, ty google :D ok back to work ;)