Best water to use?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Pep's abode, Jul 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

That's really good info! The tap water where i am in FL is really full of sulfer. We are on city water but it is still bad! I am definetly going to look into getting a RO system for the sink!

Thanks!

Pep's abode and zesty like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

yup! They just need an inlet for water and an exit (drain) and you can be making ro/di in your kitchen saturday afternoon! :D

Try looking around for "mobile RO/DI setups" or "apartment ro/di setups", you may find some people have figured out a few tips and tricks to help the process along!

If I was in an apartment, this is exactly what I would be doing. I hauled buckets to my first floor house from the LFS and that got old, real quick!!!!! But, I do believe in RO/DI from the start or as soon as you can start using it.

Also, check your city's website or call the water company and get a water report. That will help you know what you are fighting to remove.

Pep's abode and Hoopastank like this.
  4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

AZdesertrat is the man to go to for all ur ro/di questions

Pep's abode likes this.
  5. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

Thanks Zesty!! I will do just that! Awesome!

zesty likes this.
  6. Pep's abode

Pep's abode Plankton

Thank you for all your suggestions! From what I have read in various places, tap is high in salicylates, along with other unwanted stuff. I had an outbreak of hair algae and diatoms. I went dark for 3 days and that has improved! Now for the water change--going to go with the RO this time! Hopefully I can get my tank quality better!

7. Pep's abode

Pep's abode Plankton

I will definitely check into my own small system as well! Thanks!

zesty likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Pep's abode

Pep's abode Plankton

Great advice will definitely check into it! Thanks!

zesty likes this.
  10. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Spectra pure rodi are top of the line, buckeye hydro is imo the best bang for your buck. You can go the BRS route, but they are a pet supply company where the first 2 water treatment is their primary business.

Pep's abode and Swisswiss like this.
  11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Any RO/DI can be used portable or installed semi permanent or permanent. It can be as simple as a screw on faucet adapter, a little more permanent like a garden hose wye on the washing machine cold water supply or under the sink with a feed water adapter valve which is easily installed but can be removed with no evidence it was evere there if you are renting or decide to move.
    Skip the little cobbled up horizontal "portable" systems as they do not function as well, cost more to replace the filters and the filters do not come in the preferred micron ranges and are harder to find. My three suggested vendors to consider are the Spectrapure already suggested at $125, Buckeye Hydro at just a bit more or PurelyH20 again at jus ta bit more. The biggest advantages to Spectrapure is they specially treat all their RO membranes proven to improve the performance, custom blend all their own DI resins so they are the freshest and best for reef use and they use capillary tube flow restrictors so yo ucan really fine tune your system. Other things are near absolute rated sediment filters versus nominal rated, pressure gauges even on the basic systems and backed by a company doing RO/DI in the same US city for almost 30 years.

zesty and Pep's abode like this.
  12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

By a splitter and split it off os the cold water faucet in your laundry room. One goes to the washing machine, the other to the RODI.