Best T5 Fixture. (Brand)

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by banthonyb71, Jun 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Best T5 Fixture (Brand)

1. ATI

45.7%
  2. Nova

17.4%
  3. Aquaticlife

17.4%
  4. Tek

8.7%
  5. Sundial

2.2%
  6. Sunlight Supply Tek

13.0%
  7. Current USA

6.5%
  8. Aquactinics

2.2%
  9. Coralife

4.3%
  10. Other

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

The main prob with Aquactinics is that the fixtures are impossible to find brand new. They are a company out of CT that makes aquarium fixtures on the side of their main business. Because of this, they rarely stock them and ship to retailers infrequently. I have looked for a new one about 3 months and came up with nothing.

I ended up getting a TX5 used from a fellow reefer and I'll get it next Tuesday. The main reason I wanted this fixture is for its quality/reputation. Also being a 5-bulb unit it gives you the added benefit of the extra bulb (where normally only a 4-bulb would fit over my tank). Since I cannot hang my fixture, as I rent, the TX5 was the absolute best fixture I could get for my tank size that could be mounted on it.

You can find TEK's much easier, they are available all over and are priced affordably. I also purchased the 4-bulb Elite from reefgeek and it's also a great fixture, but there is a fan issue that is being addressed by SLS. They are sending all Elite owners a new fan to install that is issue-free. Once I receive the new fans I will be selling my Elite & keeping my TX5.

IMO if you want to buy new with warranty, you'll do great with an Elite or standard TEK, if you don't mind buying used, you can look for an Aquactinics Constellation or TX5. If you have the funds also look into ATI or IceCap. The ATI doesn't have mounting brackets so many have to do DIY ones, that was what steered me away from the ATI initially.

FYI on the TEK vs TEK Elite:

TEK Elite's come with an acrylic shield & cooling fans. Their reflectors are maybe 3% better than the standard TEK's. The active cooling of the fans allows you to keep the shield on your fixture which helps your reflectors from getting stained & lengthens bulb life + keeps PAR higher. The standard TEK's are best run without a shield as they do not have fans & the increased heat will lessen bulb life & PAR. It's a toss up though, as your reflectors may be stained depending on how close it is to the water. Many have also done DIY fans for the standard TEK's to help increase bulb life.

P.S. Aquactinics is working on a new fixture that will combine 4 T5's plus a strip of LED's down the middle. I am interested to see when this will come out, but little info has been given on it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

bump. for the reason mentioned above, I probably wouldnt put Aquatinics in the top 3 list becuase of avalability. I have heard of several people of poor luck exchanging or replacment of there units.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I just received my Aquactinics TX5 a few days. I actually have been in contact with the manufacturer and they have many readily available parts for their units. The unit had some issues in shipping and I am replacing the fan among other things. Aquactinics has been great with all my questions and is sending me replacement parts for a very minimal fee.

I wanted to put that out there in case anyone is concerned about getting an Aquactinics fixture, they do stand by their products and have been great thus far.

I will post my thoughts/review of the fixture once I have it up and running.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

what no odyssea t5? lol

6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Odyssea is in a whole nother league Rida, insurance companies love it, keeps their fire coverage in demand :)

7. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

8. Click Here!

9. Kovu

Kovu Fire Worm

I picked other I have a hamilton technology t5 over my 29 gallon and love it.

10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Ok an update on the aquaticlife fixture. The first negative I have found. The fixture is about 4 months old and already, half of the L.E.D. bulbs have went out. they come in two bulb strips that look to be replacable but Im not sure what the cost of that is and also the replacrments would more than likely go out again in another four months.