Best T5 Fixture. (Brand)

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by banthonyb71, Jun 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Best T5 Fixture (Brand)

1. ATI

45.7%
  2. Nova

17.4%
  3. Aquaticlife

17.4%
  4. Tek

8.7%
  5. Sundial

2.2%
  6. Sunlight Supply Tek

13.0%
  7. Current USA

6.5%
  8. Aquactinics

2.2%
  9. Coralife

4.3%
  10. Other

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I was just about to note that.

I chose ATI, TEK and Nova.

FYI, TEK changed their ballasts to Advance and has had some issues with them.

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Nova probably should have been Nova Extreme.

4. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Its brand not model.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I voted ATI, the original and best IMO. Excellent bulbs and the fixtures are top notch!
    Pricey tho

6. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

So 1. ATI
    2.S.S.Tek
    3.Nova/Aquaticlife
    4.Aquatinics
    5. ???

Please vote multiple choice.

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

The poll is really just stating who owns what and most all prob don't have exp with the other higher name brands.

With research of others exp. you will find that ATI is the best, hands down, of those listed. Followed by Aquactinics. The old TEK fixtures had better ballasts and the new models are utilizing an inferior ballast but they're still good fixtures. That puts the TEK Elite next and then TEK reg. The AquaticLife/Nova's are nice fixtures but per your list, they are nowhere near the Aquactinics TX5 or Constellation in terms of reflectors, ballast, PAR output.

IMO based on lots of research pertaining to reflectors, ballasts, PAR measurements, user experiences, the list should read like this (this is only of the brands mentioned. IceCap is also a really strong brand not mentioned):

1. ATI Power Module
    2. ATI SunPower
    3. Aquactinics Constellation
    4. Aquactinics TX5
    5. TEK Elite
    6. TEK Standard
    7. AquaticLife/Nova
    8. WavePoint
    9. all the rest

But, there are many variables that a list like this can't be based on. Like the amount of bulbs you're looking for, what bulbs you are using, what types of corals/clams you're trying to keep, the dimensions of your tank, etc. The TEK's have performed better over wider tanks, but the ATI & Aquactinics trump it in terms of depth, etc.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

this is good info. my whole point of doing this is just to help with purchasing info when newbies or first time T% buyers can make a better decision.

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Def, just wanted to come at it from a different angle. I read so much before going to T5's and I absorbed a good amount of helpful info, so hopefully it'll help others looking + I'm still a t5 noob believe me! Just lots and lots of info to digest.

11. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I have a Nova Extreme 48" 6 bulb fixture I really like it for the price point of 270 and has worked out well for me even though I had it only running for about 4 months before I had to take down my system I am not sure if it is a common issue but my Nova Extreme has had the same bulb replaced 3 or 4 times now so watch out for that. Thanks to this thread it is motivating me to get my new sytem up and running to test out the bulbs before the 1 year warrenty that nova gives the buyer is up.

Over all it is a good budget light and is way better then the coralife compact set up I had before.

-Scott

12. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I would like to get more feedback on the aquatinics and the Tek and if the aquatinics is indeed a better brand.