best t5 bulbs money can buy?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by BluePhish, May 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

No I said if you have to use them and the only redeeming thing for them is the Bulbs that U/V started to make I mentioned that also But many are out there with URI stamped on them :) I still think t 5 are best lest in the box on a shelf.. :) And to mention Ultra Violet Inst. to someone they go huuuh ? ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Their Actinic white is a blueish white and its nowhere as cool of a K as a many so called 10 K they are a true 10K most to me are so cool on K that 10's look like 6500 or so .
    As for the mix one x one 1 super atcinic = 1 actinic white 2 super actincs - 2 actinic whites or a 50/50 of them each..

4. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

thanks allot i think ill do a 50/50 of actinic white and super actinic. i think it might look too purple with all that 420 nm . would it be ok to do 2 actinic whites12k+1 super actinic460nm+ one of the new 14k. actully also ahve a 130 watt pc hood along with the t5s, that run a 10k and 420nm. thanks for your help. sorry for being a pain, im very picky when it come to my tank, i stand in front of the tanks at the store for like an hour inspecting all the corals untill i finally get one.i cant help it.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Go 50/50 URI 420 in a true 03 not that grape jelly purple all the other's look like Like I said many times in many different lights all K and Nm ratings are not the same it depends on the quality and amount of rare earth phosphors and heavy metals used in the making of the bulbs . Ever seena Tanning bed ? Thats the true blue color not that purple bluish look Like I told another here before I sent him his new Bulbs NOT URI but another Brand that offers a great P/C actinic 420 Nm These bulbs have a 100% blue spectrum with a peak output around 420 nm.

Its your tank and you have to look at it But again here is what I'd do and what mix I have ran for yrs and yrs and I have yet to have anyone not find them as a great combonation for total lighting of their reef I'd myself would Go 50/50 mix of the 03 Super actinicand the actinic white I call them 50/50's and you'll see what you and your corals have been missing..

Next time you change out the P/C let me know I'll show what works better. Fella Here Miller Time just mad the change to a true 03 at 420 nm. He is very happy .. There is a lot to know about lighting as I said all brands are not created equal URI UVI are the state of the art they make the bulbs for all speacial applications from Operating rooms to dentist chairs to flowers and fish culturing systems.

6. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

hey i really appreciate the help...im def going to get 50/50 mix of super act.+actinic white. i trust your judgement over mine. proly order them within the next 2 days. i am also going to replace my actinic pc bulb 65 watt strait 4 pin. what was that pc bulb you spoke of. you said you sent him a bulb, do you own a shop which you can ship bulbs, or was it just a fav for millertime. if you do let me know i can throw some buissness your way. i thought i understood lighting some what,but never even thought about the quality of phospors and metals within the bulb . thats why i love this hobby always learning new things. i cant wait to plug these uv lights in,u got me pumped.
    p.s.i just looked on the uv website and they now make pc bulbs with 180 degree internal reflector, that internal reflector sounds pretty nice.

Last edited: May 11, 2008