Best Supplements for Reef Tank?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ManNurseReefer, Jun 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

I couldnt tell, but do these addatives help with your Iodine and strontium? (sp)

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

No and no.

You can't test reliably for iodine (or so I've heard), so that's kinda pointless.

Strontium is a 15 minute test, and not like ammonia where you mix and let it sit for 15 minutes - you're doing stuff the whole time. It's a giant pain, and you likely don't need to dose if you do regular water changes. Most corals aren't sensitive to strontium levels.

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

+1 Most tanks with water changes don't need to supplement these.

P.S I also use the BRS supplements.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Oh yeah, let me add that the only strontium test I know of involves Nitric Acid - narsty stuff. They pack it in the plastic case, in a cardboard tube, with acid-neutralizing material around the bottle. They give you goggles and gloves to use at all times when handling it, and tell you to NEVER take it outside of the plastic box in case of a spill because of how crazystrong it is.

From Wikipedia:

"Nitric acid is a powerful oxidizing agent, and the reactions of nitric acid with compounds such as cyanides, carbides, and metallic powders can be explosive. Reactions of nitric acid with many organic compounds, such as turpentine, are violent and hypergolic (i.e., self-igniting). Due to its properties it is stored away from bases and organics.

Concentrated nitric acid dyes human skin yellow due to a reaction with the keratin. These yellow stains turn orange when neutralized."

Do you really want to fool around with this stuff regularly to check your levels? lol

7. cap23244

cap23244 Astrea Snail

brs mixes for me also

8. Click Here!

9. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

no one said I wanted to test for any of it. A little to much work for me. I am all about water changes. I am just trying to figure out the difference in the chemicals I use [b-ionic] and this BRS stuff.