best salt to use with calcium reactor

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Thatgrimguy, May 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I'm setting up a new calcium reactor system I plan to use arm coarse media and dolomite in a geo 818 reactor.

I have been dosing BRS 2part and mag, and using Salinity salt. I bought into using the Salinity because my lfs told me it was the "best"... I don't like the way it clouds my water and dusts my glass and leaves such a residue in my mixing container. It's nasty and takes all night to clear up.

I would love to save some money, but what about "trace elements"

What salt is good to use with a calcium reactor?

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

From what I understand you can introduce alot of trace elements with the reactor. Honestly I dont know that any salt has the right balance looking at studies done. I would focus on new saltwater being closest on parameters to what you want your tank to be and call it good.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I think I'm going to swap to IO seems a lot of people use it with great results and it's dead cheap in comparison

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Thats what I use. I might try Reef Crystals but thats because I dont have a Reactor ;-)

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Grim I agree you can't go wrong with IO .The quality control employed by IO is second to none.(I have a good friend who works for them) With that being said I had a friend email me a good unbiased review of several salts(will see if I can locate it) and Coralife was actually the best IMO. It doesn't have the elevated levels of Calcium and Magnesium like some of the newer salts on the market today but as far as consistency it has never let me down. Plus if you are using a reactor you don't need elevated levels. I briefly switched to Red Sea Coral Pro but after receiving a bad batch I went right back to old faithfull.;D

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I've never really paid attention to all the different salts. When I started, IO was all I could get easily. I've used it for 16 years and I'm still here.

8. Click Here!

9. KYLECT

KYLECT Astrea Snail

Brightwell Rocks for growth and color but it's a bit expensive.