best place to get pre cured live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Rogues, Dec 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

assuming you can buy real precured ... what is the best place? I'm about to make an order for 90 #

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ddaasshh

ddaasshh Spaghetti Worm

dr. smith and forster website has some, although sometimes they are a lil high priced.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Why the precured? I'm sure you have a reason and I'm sure others have told you, but why not just get base rock? Much cheaper, don't have to worry about shipping and you get more for you money b/c it's dry. Plus, no unwanted hitchikers.

1 person likes this.
  5. ddaasshh

ddaasshh Spaghetti Worm

that is true its alot cheaper, the only reason i didnt go that way was because im in patient but ill tell ya what it did cost me lol.

6. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

any rock that is pre cured will have some substantial die off during s/h and will need to be recured. i would look on cl for ppl tearing down their systems.

7. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

its my understanding that ANYTIME the rock is pulled from the water the sponges, etc will begin to die off. and the detritus and 'die-off' from the rock would cause a mini-cycle in a already established aquarium.

by that logic curing on your own will have some minor die off between the tank used to cure and your main display tank when you physically move the rock. so you should be aware that there will always be some form of die-off on the rock when entering your display tank.

pre-cured rock from someone else will have even more die off because of shipping and handling as others mentioned. even picking it up from someone stripping down there tank would incline me to re-cure if anything to verify there arent any unwanted hitchhikers or cyano, etc on them. you really dont know how the other person treated their tank either. i dont know if copper treatments fuse into the rock? i recall someone in the 3reef community getting like a 150# of quote "LIVE ROCK" and bleaching it simply to start the rock over again and to be 100% sure it wasnt carrying anything bad.

personally im straying from the potential problem in my newly started reef tank and going with dry rock for the base and some very select pieces of live rock from my LFS and dr fosters to "SEED" my base rock. even the pre-cured stuff from drfoster or the stuff i get from my local LFS im still putting in a tub and doing 50% water changes till all params drop to 0 before entering my display tank and scrubbing them. i know its tedius, and time consuming but its worth it in the end from what ive researched.

i just started my first batch of rock... we'll see in 3 weeks how it is

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Sometimes drsfosterandsmith.com has a sale 20 pds for 45.00
    only you should recure it when you get it because of the die off:-/
    My lfs has amazing prices on cured LR