Best PAR38 Out There?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by KDtrey5, Feb 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I dont think either of the bulbs fit into the "full spectrum" category.

2. Click Here!

3. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

The Reef Breeder's PAR 38 LED bulbs are perfect for nano and pico aquariums.Our bulbs come with a full spectrum layout, which includes 6 450nm royal blues, 2 420nm violets, 1 660nm deep red, and 3 4500K neutral whites. Each unit has a high quality black heat sink, and is dimmable with a household dimmer switch. The optics are 90 degree for optimal spread and intensity, and can be easily swapped for 60 or 120 degree optics. All fixtures include our full 2 year warranty.

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Ive been comparing the bulbs all morning. I guess what im saying is that they are almost evenly matched except for the exact led ratio. Im not trying to say dont go with the RB for any particular reason other than for color purposes I would go with the rapid. Look at it this way, their 120 watt value fixture has how many LEDs total and only has 2 red leds? this little par38 has 1. Red leds have been known to grow algae.

RB = 1 deep red, 3 NW, 2 UV, and 6 Royal Blue

rapid = 2 NW, 2 CW, 2 UV, and 6 royal blue.

Usually a full spectrum would include some sort of green or cyan.

5. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

They may use crees, but XP-Es are about the same in output as a good Bridgelux diode. We include a red, to hit the chlorophyll a absorption peak at 660nm, and the violets to hit the peak at 430nm. CW are not good when used with nuetrals, it is either CW and WW, or all nuetrals IME.

6. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

The green and cyan are plentiful in the NW diodes, and will only create spot lighting in a PAR38 bulb - I have tested this, and it is tough to get away using a green without noticing it.

edit: define "full spectrum". By definition, Nuetral whites alone would be full spectrum as they encompass the entire visible range with no gaps.

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

LEDtric Full spectrum w/ NW or Reefbreeders

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

thanks, i updated my previous post. I just looked on the Rapid site, they are using xp-e diodes.

10. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Well thanks for all of your help. I've decided to go with reefbreeders. It is just a matter of time before things start to sell.

11. bicyclebill

bicyclebill Plankton

OC Reef has Cree Par 38 bulbs in several configurations. Sales all the time as well. Kicking butt over my 9G cube at work.