Best MH option for 1/2 of a 55 gal.

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by HappyGillmore, Dec 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey guys, I have a 55 gallon that i split down the middle with a baffle. The left half has a little mini reef with encrusting Porites/x-mas tree worms and Xenia. The rock in there is almost completely Coralline encrusted and Xenia is now growing up the glass.

What I wanted to do is remove the 216 watt 4foot T5 fixture that stretches across to the Macro/Mud Fuge on the right side. I have two separate 24 inch 2-bulb t5 fixtures supplementing light to each section. Rock section = a Geis. Pure Act, AquaBlue Macro section = Geis. Flora, Midday. The 216 itself has two blues, two whites (actually one AquaBlue, one Midday). Anyway I was thinking of getting my first MH to take care of the lighting over the left mini reef and use the 216 watter over my sump, which is now holding 60-70lbs of live rock. I figured why not just culture the rock down there, get coralline and other stuff growing so when i finally polish this used 240 Tenecor, it will be ready to go with all the precultured rock it needs. Furthermore Id like to get a few pieces of fresh, premium UNcured rock to seed it and the MT with.

Was just a thought, any opinions welcome. But what id really like to know is what MH system I should be keeping an eye out for. As of now i've been checking around for a 150 watt pendant system, preferably with an Icecap ballast (i heard they are the best for keeping energy costs down). Id love to get a kickass Lumenmax reflector for it but i dont necissarily need to spend top dollar on a reflector if its only marginally beneficial. I may just wind up trying out an EBAY special but until i come across some enlightening advice, I guess Ill continue searching for the pendant/icecap lighting.

2. Click Here!

3. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

call ushio lighting,
    they would probably suggest 250 watt mogul base due to more options with 250watt bulbs.
    they will even tell you what companies they believe are good ballast companies. Ushio is a huge bulb manf. Aquarium bulbs are just another bulb they provide.
    They will probably suggest a m58 magnetic ballast for a bunch of reasons
    I use hamilton lighting fixtures and am very satisfied.