Best Metal Halide Talk

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Land_Fish, Jan 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

I also forgot to mention that the coralvue ballast have built in fans to help keep them cool and efficient. They also have thermo protection and shut off if they get to hot.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Wow thats cool....get it... cool? LOL

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Awesome features for those ballasts!

5. jline

jline Astrea Snail

I have a hamelton protostar 2-250w 10000k HQI with 2 96w 7100k pc bulbs. I like the light, but I have had difficulty getting the light to reach all of the coral,IE on the sides they tend to shade themselves. It has a hammer tone reflector on the top, but is white on the sides. Do you think that it will help to put reflectors on the sides to cut down on the shadow effect? Is there a limit on how close I shoud get it to the tank? If I get it closer, will that help with the shadows? 11" above the tank at this writing. I have a chiller, but it is small in size. The only thing that I don't like about the light is the noise that the 2 cooling fans make. They do pull off allot of heat. Opions appreciated.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Jline I would not move them closer.
    Matt may have some ideas for you on the shadows. I would add some VHO light on the outside of the MH lights this may help the shadow effect.
    As far as the fans we all look for the ones with less noise I heard ice cap fans are good but I have never tested them.

7. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

All fans are noisey. The noise is the air moving through the hood. Not much can be done about it.