Best Main Waterpump?  Ampmasters

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Trickman2, Jun 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

Hello Everyone I used alot of Waterpumps but I have to say my favorite so Far is my Ampmaster 2100
    The pump is quiet powerful energy efficient and does not heat my water but their are some Disadvantages needs big hose lines to Run at full flow 1 1/2 inches.  I am using one inch which reduces some flow.  This is not a pressure pump.   ITS BIG VERY BIG.  The pump does have Seals.  Overall I would give this pump A+++
    Second Quietest pump I used.  Good Noise to Performance Ratio. ;D

Pumps I used before.

SEN900 = Not to loud but heated water

Iwaki 30rxlt = Better than Gen X but still a little loud and heated water.

Velocity t4 = Completely Silent but heated water alot

GEN X =  Loud as Hell....Rather shoot myself in the Head then run this pump [smiley=rifle.gif]

Mag5 = Good cheap pump better than Rio in my eyes

Rios = Cheap but you get what you pay for.
    I would like to hear some others people opinions on Water pumps

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yeah...all right..I can do that! ::)

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Sorry, got away from me...that post did....anywhoooo

Little Giant 3E - way to hot....... :huh:

Rio 2500 - It was fine while in use for 2 years. I stored it for about 4 years and upon inspection to use for a new tank, I discovered a cracked housing.....not too safe I figured, and I tossed it.

Mag Drive 5 - I have 2 with no problems...and they were also stored along with the Rio....I have cleaned them and they are still running great!!

And that is my very limited experience ;D

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Have a Mag 7 and a 3 never had a noise issue and no stopping issues.
    Rio 2500 louder then a mag but scared to use it full time. I use it as a water change pump slat mixing.
    4 Rio 800's used as power heads and moving water for top off and to refugium and only had 1 problem with the motor getting stuck once and never happened again. (heard is was the bigger RIO's that had issues)
    1 CAP that is used to pump from water storage to several tanks. not noisy and as for heat -it's not on long enough to say.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the info Trickman. I have heard a lot of great things about Dolphin Ampmaster pumps. Looking online, I see one that puts out 9000 GPH! Wow. :eek:

7. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

I am running an Ampmaster 3000 as my system pump on my 120 and I love it. It is extremely quiet which I love. It does leak a little but nothing a little upside down lid under it cant catch.

8. Click Here!

9. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

I have a couple of questions:

1. I've heard of the Amp Masters leaking, has anybody experience this?

2. I've also heard that the pump pulls more electric current than what is advertised, any takers on this one?

Since I'm looking for a pump for my 100g, I'm curious to learn more about the pump. I can't make up my mind between the Dolphin or the Sequence. :-/

phil

10. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Mine leaks a little bit but I just keep an upside down lid from a can of phosban or something under it to catch it. I have read the same thing about the current draw but I have never checked it myself. Even so I would buy it again. I looked at the Sequence but I didn't want an even bigger hole in my sump than the ampmaster already needs