Best lighting for LPS's?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by pez blanco, Dec 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

I have my 55 gal tank set up for more LPS's now. I've run a CF coralife canopy for a while now and inhabitants seem to be ok with it: Open brains, candy canes, a torch, a few leathers. My goal is to keep on going with more LPS's. My question is this: What is the better light system and why between: CF, T5's and LED's. They seem to do well with my set up now but are T5's and the new LED's better?

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

LPS would be fine with a good 4-bulb or 6-bulb T5 set-up, LED's are going to run you a lot more as you'll need a two fixtures/pendants. I would suggest looking into ATI fixtures and bulbs. ATI SunPower, TEK is also great. You want fixtures with nice individual reflectors and high quality bulbs like ATI Blue plus, AquaBlue Special, & Purple Plus.

What is your budget, that will dictate the types of fixtures you can afford, I/3reef can help guide you to the best value for your $.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You would be fine with a good 2 bulb T5HO for your LPS. I have an excellent 4 bulb T5HO and have the bulbs 28" above the sand and need to keep my LPS on the bottom. 4 bulbs give you a much better light spectrum but also much higher PAR. A 4 bulb fixture with molded or individual reflectors and a splash guard such as a Current Extreme should work well for your needs.

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Aquaticlife 4x54w t5ho would be my suggestion for your tank. I run the 4x24t5ho, all ATI bulbs, on my 26 and my LPS love it! My clam loves em too :)

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Just remember to light-acclimate your tank when you upgrade from the CF. I went from CF to 2-bulb T5HO on a 29H; nothing in my tank appreciated the extra PAR. I had to start with a short light cycle (2 hours per day) and bump it up 1/2 hour per week til I got it back to normal. That was with softies and LPS.