Best Led Light

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nc208082, Apr 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

If he wants a 20K look, 2 36 kits would work better, 2.5:1 blue:white to hit that look, and still give you growth. What type of corals are you shooting for? if you are doing an SPS dominated tank, I might say 2 48 kits could be necessary so you can add more whites.

UVs give your corals another level of fluorescence that actinics don't. However, use in moderation as it can have ill effects if too much is used. CREE does not make a UV diode by the way. I have a found a few online, however, none with graphs or any type of "professional" documentation to prove to me their worth.

EDIT: I have a DIY Rapid light kit, and a BoostLED Mu135W fixture. I will be purchasing from Orphek soon for a new tank build. The AI SOL use CREE diodes, so very similar to the Rapid Kits...just not DIY with a couple more "shiny" things to get your attention. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

I do have a clam and he looks great about 1/3 of the way up my tank I have a 75 gallon so a little smaller dimensions but the same length.

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Not exactly, you could get away with 3 opting for a 4th later. The fact that AI mixes 40 degree optics and 70 degree optics gives you far more spread than a Orphek. Orpheks are bright but the light is very concentrated in a narow area. The PR156 uses approx all 40 degree optix. That is why when you saw that picture of the big tank with 3 on 1 side it looked like a tiger with stripes of light and dark. This is why they are able to get such high par #s out of a 2 watt diode.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I wouldn't really call the adjustment for each color LED a shiny feature so much as a super practical feature. You can use it to adjust your corals to the new lighting better when you first transition, and can also adjust your lighting to suit your preferences better than any other lighting system.

6. FaceOfDeceit

You can do the same with dimming kits and parts...goes along with the DIY feature that Rapid offers. the AI SOLs are very similar, without the DIY aspect. Great lights.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, you confused me with a "couple shiny features" then lol. The only one I see as being shiny is the thunderstorms, so I thought the individual adjustment was the other you were talking about. I guess you only meant that one then?

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

All LED fixtures use off the shelf components. You only have to know what components they are using. Only problem is that AI is proud to brag that they are using the Cree. They set the standard in the hobby and now DIY kits are popping up all over. Why, because they were honest enough to not hide their components.

10. FaceOfDeceit

When you build a Rapid kit, you can choose to add the dimmable features on. The AI SOL light have a controller that is used to do all of this without you having to do this...it also included timers, one feature that Rapid does not. I think people over think the DIY aspect and jump into the pre-built fixtures...I was simply stating that everything can be done using either avenue. I have seen the SOLs in person, and they look great. I own a Rapid kit that is color dimmable, and controlled through my ReefKeeper (I like shiny things!). I have not seen the Orphek's first hand yet, but have heard great things...however, they are not dimmable (PR-156), which limits it somewhat in my opinion. The BoostLED Mu135W fixture is nice, and very similar to the Evo's and other Chinese made fixtures, but it has the UV diodes built in for extra color. As an owner of this fixture, I do believe it falls short in deeper penetration tanks 18"+ if you are keeping SPS only.

There are many choices out there. Do you research, choose which one fits what you want the best.

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Let's not forget that the Orphek is also chinese made so if you praise the Orphek, you cannot hold that over the others like a scarlet letter.

12. FaceOfDeceit

I am not degrading the Chinese made fixtures, was simply stating the BoostLED fixture and the Evolution fixtures are replica's of the MANY Chinese made fixtures out there. I did not praise Orphek. I have noticed that you do not like their products, or maybe it's just the service, but you seem to have a gripe with them. I have no experience with Orphek, only what I've read. And realistically, what isn't made in China nowadays?