Best Led Light

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nc208082, Apr 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I would love to compare a AI Sol White vs an Orphek. One AI Sol White unit is not comparable to one Orphek. The Orphek is just a much larger fixture. 3 AI units however would be very comparable possibly even better than 2 orpheks. I am sure that 4 not even be a fair comparison due to the more efficient LED of the AI. It will however cost you more. Both the AI Sol White and Orpheck PR156 cannot be confused for a 20K so let's say you have been warned. If you are wanting the look of a 20K, I would go with the AI Sol Super Blue. 3 AI units will cost you less than the Orphek and be controllable as well. The AI unit also combines 40 and 60 degree lenses to give a nice spread as well as intensity. The Orphek is not a bad choice either however the light output is non adjustable so if it's too white, too bad.

If you order the Orphek from Marine Depot, they have an excelent return policy. If you don't like them you can send them back. No harm no foul.

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Nope. 3 AI units would be roughly $1500 + control module vs. $800 for the Orphek. I am not endorsing either, just stating that AI's are less expensive PER fixture, but more expensive for the 3:1 ratio you suggested.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yup, but the AI is super controllable, and that ratio is wrong. I've played with it in the LFS, and it's pretty incredible what it can do. 3 different dimming (white, blue, royal), plus offsets for each, plus 12(?) timers on the controller. It even has thunderstorms LMAO. The AI is 75w too, so you only need 2 of to be stronger than an Orphek AFAIK.

5. FaceOfDeceit

The ratio I have read the most described 1 SOL for every 16" of space. So for a standard 75 gallon for example, 3 would do well. However, Orphek claims 1 fixture will work for that size tank. BoostLED would recommend 3 Mu135W fixtures for SPS tanks, 2 for mixed reef. It really depends on what you want, what bells and whistles grab you, and your overall budget.

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

FOD, I meant to say vs 2 Orpheks which I edited immediately after posting. You were obviously were typing while I was editing.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You're getting far more light with 2 AI units though. Orphek is a 120w fixture, while each AI is 75w. Orphek is assuming low, or AI is assuming high, for their estimates.

Really, the best comparison is gcarrol's, with Orphek at 240w vs AI's 225 w.

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

Gotcha. I'm sneaky fast! ;D

10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

From what I read about ai. Each unit is good for 12 inches of tank. So for my 48 I would need 4? I'd love to do the diy option I'm just looking to make one big purchase and not feel like I should have spent the txra few hundred for something better. My other choice was 2 x 36 q5 led setup from rapidled

11. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

all you would need is one 48 kit from rapidled.

12. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I have a lot of corals do and have a clam and am gonna get an anemone in the future plus I'm gonna up grade in future. Do you actually think 1 48 setup would cover my 48 x 24 x 24. I have single brace in the center. My original plan was for 2 36. Would I be better off with a 48 and a 12?

I like that so many people have chimed in. So many companies claim they have the best so I guess what is the overall users best opinion an the best bang for your buck