Best Kelvin

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by cody3819, Dec 19, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I like more color than growth personally. When I first started it was all about how fast I could grow the coral. Now I want color more than quick growth. I had to get rid of some corals due to fast growth and felt like I didn't get enough time to enjoy the coral. Lol

cody3819 likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

20k is just the spectrum, the intensity is the amount of light I believe

cody3819 likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes I hear you DSC. In small tanks a higher Kelvin may be more desirable. And you are correct Kelvin and intensity are two different things. Just keep in mind the higher the Kelvin the easier it is to burn things.

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Burning is definitely a concern led lighting. I'm eventually going to switch over. I'm nervous to take the plunge but the orphek Atlantik v3 has got my attention.

cody3819 likes this.
  6. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Well before my "daylights" came on I adjusted back down to 18k. Now my tank is still going threw it's adjustment period it actually has one week left, do you guys thing maybe I should go a little longer on that period seeing how I just gave it more uv? And I want to give a big thanks to DSC and Vinnyboombatz. You two and a couple other people like oldfishkeeper are very helpful. And truthfully I'm great full for individuals like you. Thanks!

Vinnyboombatz and DSC reef like this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I appreciate the kind words. 3reef and members here have helped me considerably since I started reefing. It's what we're here for cody, to help others and for the love of reefing. It's always good to acclimate corals slowly to more intense light so another week would be fine. As long as you don't see signs of bleaching (to much light) or browning (to little light) then your ok. I'm by no means an expert on led fixtures but the prime makes it easy from what I've read.

Vinnyboombatz and cody3819 like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Yes, it's a very nice fixture.