best coral frag glue or epoxy

Discussion in 'Frags' started by mikekx65, Jan 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

There's so many different glues and epoxys out there for frags I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm wondering what products you guys are you using and what procedures you guys are using to glue frags to lr. In your guys tanks.

2. Click Here!

3. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

Super glue gel. Works great and is super cheap

4. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

What sort of procedure do you use with the super glue gel?

5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Super glue gel works great for small frags. Honestly we just take the glue, put it on the plug/rock, and stick the frag in it. Hold if necessary for 30 seconds to a minute or so until it's able to hold the frag on it's on, and voila.

For larger frags or corals, you may have to go with epoxy or putty or what have you, but for the small stuff I really don't think there's anything better than super glue gel.

6. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Epoxy from AquaMedic called "Reef Construct" has been working great for me. Else, super glue works well. I've gotten this new epoxy, that just sucks really hard. It wont stick or attach to anything at all. Its really weak. But reef construct is really strong actually, i've been able to stabilize rather big coral pieces with very small clumps of epoxy. But there are alot of other brands out there that work well too :)

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The best method I've found is to use super glue gel and epoxy.

I start by mixing up a small ball of epoxy. I put a dab of glue on it and press it onto the rock where I want to glue the frag. Next I put another dab of super glue on the bottom of the coral, or plug, I want to attach and push it into the epoxy. This eliminates the slow dry time with super glue by compressing it between either the rock and epoxy or the plug and epoxy. The thin layer of super glue acts to attach the frag instantly while the epoxy provides it with a good, long term, stable base. I must have used this method a few thousand times now and am yet to see it fail even once.

8. Click Here!

9. coral nut

coral nut Plankton

the "sandwich" method has worked great for me over the years. glue, epoxy, glue

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Frags on new disk regular superglue. Bulk reef supplies gel super glue is the best but for a dry disk regular superglue is fine. Just kinda consider each tube disposable or only a couple of uses. The BRS tube is easier to cap and reuse later but it is still super glue so will get some clogging.

In tank like said above.. Epoxy for most stuff. I use a tooth brush and clean the live rock. If necessary put some epoxy on first to build a shelf but most spots just put epoxy around a frag or frag disk and stick it to the rock. Also in tank the BRS gel will stay thick enough to get a frag to stay upright. Just turn off all flow while doing it. I prefer the epoxy though. So if you want a cleaner look you can cut frag off frag disk and glue directly to the rock.. Problem is it is somewhat permanent on a big rock. I like to put my frags on rubble then secure the rubble to the main live rock. It looks more natural than frag disks all over your tank and if necessary I can break the rubble away from the rock to move it easier. Also I like it on rubble for when the base encrusts it doesn't leave an obvious round crusted over a disk look. For frags to sell then disks usually.
    Superglue doesn't always stick that good so you gotta have a decent amount and a cleaner type surface... so use plenty and/or let it dry a bit before going back in water.