Best Bags to Ship Livestock

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Craig Manoukian, Jan 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

This last Saturday I went down to the Bay area to see RogueCorps of RAG, attend the SEABay meeting, and visit with Matt Rogers and Gresham Hendee of the awesome website 3Reef.com

While there, I was blessed to pick up some fabulous mushroom frags.  The frags I received from Gresham courtesy of Cortez Marine wholesale distributors were packed professionally in shipping bags that would be used when shipping to a retailer.  The frag I received from RogueCorps (RC) was in a Kordon Breather Bag.

All of the frags were placed in a cooler with heat packs.  The bags from Gresham were filled 3/4 with water and the bag from RC was deviod of air, completely full of water.  When I arrived home to my suprise the frag from RC was fully open and appeared to be in less stress than the other frags.

To my suprise, it was printed right on the Kordon Breather Bag that it respirates CO2!  That explains why RC's frag was the only frag fully open in the bag. I placed it in the tank last as it appeared to be under the least amount of stress. The frag acclimated the best opening fully almost immediately after being placed in my tank.

I would recommend that in the future if you are sending or receiving any livestock you specify the Kordon Breather Bag.  I won't frag without it in the future.

Here is the link to ta site that sells the bags:

http://www.atchison.com/Catalog/Product Sheets/Shipping/breatherbags.html

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Great write up! :D i have heard of the breather bags but have no experience with them. Thanks for the insight!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's really cool! 8)

Thanks Craig! Great to know.

5. Craig Manoukian

The bags recognize the different molecular structure of O2, oxygen, allowing it to come in, but respirating CO2, carbon dioxide, and letting it go out. This makes it critical not to use the bags inside out, yikes!

RC relayed a story that he had some zebra hermits he collected from the sea in Hawaii and after a few hours in a regular plastic bag they were jumping out of their shells. He used a breather bag and the Hermits transported very well and comfortably for 20 hours from Hawaii to San Fransisco.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Cool Craig send me 4 extra when you ship me the frag. :D

7. Craig Manoukian

You got it! Will order some this week! Will ship when they get in!

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

well lets see the frags.

J

10. Craig Manoukian

Need camera and then I will post, must ask my daughter to borrow her digital!

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Craig, I've got a load of those bags, if you want em. The last wholesaler I worked for tested they're use for a while with poor results for wholesale shipping. The problems we ran across as far as wholesale shipping goes are:
    #1 and the biggest of all of them, they're easily punctured. Sneeze, they break!!!
    #2 packing them requires very special attention to not have direct contact on all sides with other bags or styrofoam. That totally defeats they're "breathablility"

AS far as hobbyist and smaller shipments, I think they're GREAT for that. In our tests, we had brine shrimp live in the bag for 2 weeks in the fridge with very low death. We tried a few fish for 4 days with ZERO death. Try that with a normal shipping bag.

Kordan is a local company for me, they're 15 minutes away. Great outfit.

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Huh, no mention on either site of being the technology being borrowed from USSR's space program.