Best Aquarium Controller

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by gabbyr189, Nov 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

What made you decide on the Apex lite? just curious because i am shopping.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I have an RK, but I'm investing in a Apex.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Im surprised more people aren't saying Reef Angel. I just bought one of these I've been looking at them for a year and a half drooling.

5. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

It was so hard to compare these systems because there are just SO MANY features. I really liked the expandability of the apex lite... I don't have any experience with these systems, but it just seemed like this system is capable of doing what I want, even though it doesn't come with every accessory. Neptune apex's and reefkeepers seem to be the two most popular brands, so I just looked at these two charts and just made a decision:

Neptune Systems - AquaControllers - Apex Comparison

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/downloads/RK Comparison.pdf

Before I made my final decision about the Apex, I sent their customer service a random question. They got back to me the next day. I hate bad customer service. There are goods and bads for both. I will let you know how it goes!

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I've been waiting a year for a salinity probe for my RK. Also, it failed on me and the clock stopped. Programming is limited. If I did it again, Apex all the way!

7. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I'm going to be ordering the reefkeeper myself

8. Click Here!

9. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Ive already had numerous conversations with the guy's at digital aquatics and the reefkeeper will do EVERYTHING that I will ever need it to do
    It will do
    1) 2 dosing pumps
    2) control 2 powerheads in wavemaker mode
    3)monitor my ph,temp,salinity
    4)control my 2 ATO pumps since I will only be using aqualifter pumps for my ATO pumps because one is going through a kalk reactor and the other is pulling from a fresh R/O source and this way they will fill at the same rate, meaning I will be adding the same amount of fresh RO AND saturated kalk solution,
    5) Control 6 lunar pods on a 29.53 day cycle to mimic the natural moon phases

That is EVERYTHING that I will ever need it to control, and when I decide to add led's they have a module for controlling them as well, Although I dont think I will use the RKL to control the led's since they will just be getting added on to my T5HO setup and will be dimmable

Honestly what more could you ask for?

Not to mention if for whatever reason I NEED that may more features I will just upgrade to the RKE and sell my RKL to cover some of the cost of the upgrade...I know the RKE has ALOT more features from the get go as far as modules you can add but at this currenttime I just dont need everything the RKE offers

10. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I just bought a Profilux IIIex package (the one that was advertised on Reef Builders etc). Really excited to get it set up in mid-January. The package included the new touch screen module. Can't wait! I also purchased the Vortech module for control of my MP10 and eventually the radion, which I hope to buy in the next year (not currently supported, but GHL says it will be soon and all that will be needed is the Vortech module. If you buy the module prior to the update, a free firmware update will be available on GHLs website). I may go with AI instead of the Radion if AI puts some different color LEDs in their upcoming Phoenix, which is already supported and no module is needed.

Since I haven't been able to set it up yet, my only comment it that it is too expensive. About twice the price of an equivalently capable Apex. The reasons I purchased the Profilux are 1) it is more available in Canada than the Apex and 2) for the slave dosers, which IMO are second to none in the hobby.

I'm also interested in automatic water changes, not sure if the Apex is capable of that or not.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011