Best Aquarium Controller

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by gabbyr189, Nov 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

2. Click Here!

3. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Lol I would hate to give away a gift like that. I think the apex jr can have 5. I am not really familiar with these systems, how they work, and what the setup is like. What exactly is a module anyway? I just know that they limit space to add stuff on. Would a power strip with lights plugged in be considered a module? pH meter? Etc?

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

A module is totally different than the power strip itself. A module is what will control the probes and a net module is needed for online access, at least with a reefkeeper. I would suggest going with an Apex. I know of at least 5 people personally who had a DA reefkeeper and all have abandoned them for an Apex. Much easier to program, and online support is there when you need it.

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I have a RKL Plus and love it for the price its the best purchase i ever made for my tank. It takes a little getting used to for programming but once you set it you just forget it :) just monitor everything from the net ;)

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I wish I can say something about my AquaController Apex Lite System (has a long name), except it's not here yet!!

7. reefwerks

reefwerks Flamingo Tongue

Allen Bradley 5555 PLC if you want to get down to the nitty gritty....;)

8. Click Here!

9. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

A little out of my price range lol but if i was building that 2500gal tank i would be in lol

10. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

i've owned both the apex and the rkl. personally i had a harder time tinkering with the apex, i just think that the language/gui was harder for me to understand. that said, the apex can do a TON of stuff, if you have a large or are planning to upgrade to a larger tank and need more programs to run on the unit then the apex is the way to go. personally i liked the rkl more than the apex because all i needed to do was the basic heater, lights, and just the smaller things. just get the rkl base version with an extra pc4 unit and you have 8 controllable outlets for under 200. i'm pretty sure they only credit you $50 for trading in the rkl for a rke if you want to upgrade in the future, however like i said before, if you plan on upgrading at all my choice would be the apex. i don't have an opinion on the other controllers because these are the only two i have/had.

11. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Thanks Seano..$175 sounds like a good deal to me then :)

12. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I chose the neptune apex lite! Too bad it was out of stock and I can't have it till Friday! My parents wrapped a picture of it lol. I am dying waiting! Can't wait to start getting accessories!