Beginner with problems please help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Guest, Dec 8, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

The crushed coral will move upwards and then it will be on top of your sand. I know because I tried the same thing. Do not use crushed coral and the UGF is bs as it was meant for a FW tank and it does not work on them very well. A deep sand bed would be better.
    The cheapest way to go would be water changes for now and see how the tank looks after that.
    You using RO water?

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Holy cow lot's of info from the service guy! first Nautilus is dead on about the ug stay away from it. But is it a ug or a plenum system he is offering huge difference here. I have dealt with DAS before and I wouldn't drill the tank without knowing if it is tempered glass or not. Das is hard to get info from and the internet sales they use Liquidtank.com sucks so before any major mods are done to tank,filter or skimmer I would be sure to have parts ready or get new parts. Is the service guy cutting out the internal filter box and is it an h99 or h39 tank (It matters with size of the box)
    As for:
    He has offered to build the sump and undergravel filter
    Take down and rebulid the tank (after drilling holes for sump etc and maintain my tank on a weekly basis for 4 months for $1000 and in doing so teaching me how to properly maintain this new system
    Buy an filter box and overflow from a lfs for about $45
    you can also buy a sump to connect it to. or better yet build your own sump. Taking everything out and starting over means a new tank cycle and if you are having trouble now means probably a great loss of life. What does the $1000 include? is that for everything or just the maintenance? Have you called any references yet how well are the companies tanks maintained and what kind of life support does he have? (lot's of "maintenance companies" are fish changers--Remember I said lot's not ALL) Visist a couple of his accounts over a 3 month period and log fish in tanks see if they are still there over the course of that time. Read the steps at this the top of this site see what you have done already and what you need to do still. IMO it is better to spend the money on your tank and not someone else' mortagage. Plenty more to help with but this is getting long and I am sure others will chime in be sure to listen.

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

That service guy sounds fishy.....LOL Had to do it...

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I agree Very Fishy.
    Just the recommendation to put an UG in would make me run for the hills. Changing the sand to gravel is also very old school. I'm thinking this guy has had a successful Aquarium Maintenance company for some time but didn't ever keep up with the latest break throughs in the Reefing community.
    I also believe your money is better spent on Book and upgrading equipment than on him. $1000 for 4 months is a pretty good deal for what he has promised to do for you, but after it's all said and done. Is it your tank or his.
    The biggest joy I get from keeping a Reef Aquarium is the tinkering until I make it exactly how I want it. You won't have that joy.

Please, Before you spent your money ask us here and read books to determine what you want your reef to be like. What you want to keep and how much manual maintenance you feel comfortable with. Everyone here is great and will help the best they can.

J

6. dirtyB

dirtyB Plankton

Shucks, find the right websight and you learn more in 3 days than 2 years (sorry I fixed the cussin, CraigM)

7. dirtyB

dirtyB Plankton

Okay serious now thanks for all your help guys here is what I have decided to do after readiong a lot this weekend.

I would like to change to a sump system with a refugium without drilling my tank

My plan is to bulid my own if anyone has any plans or ideas to help that would be great

also I want to put in a auto top up for evaporated water any sugestions in this area would be great can I incorporate this right into the sump like add a 10 gallon holding chanber to the top of the sump and have it gravity feed into the sump as it is needed ??

I know I'm Asking a lot from everyone I just want to let everyone know that I appreciate their time

Thanx

DAve

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

10. dirtyB

dirtyB Plankton

the inside of the stand is 18.75(w)x48(l)x22(h)inches
    with an opening in the back 16x40.5

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

18.75 x 48 and this is a 120 gallons right?
    Is your aquarium really high? I only ask because those measurements on the stand are the same for a 75 or 90 gallon tank... most 120 gallon tanks are 6 feet long not 4 feet.

How many doors are on the front and how many braces are on the back?
    Any photos?

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I made a 29 gallon long into a sump/refugium which is not fully installed at the moment.  Will be a gravity feed from and return pump to the display tank.  Will post some pics for you later in the week.